How Long Should I Wait After Breast Augmentation to Switch to a Smaller Size Implant? (photo)

I recently had a breast aug with 300cc implants filled to 360 and I'm regretting the size and fake look that I feel I'll be stuck with. I know it's early and I still have swelling (it's only been a week) but unless they shrink to about half their size and become really soft, I want to switch to smaller implants, maybe 275 or 300cc silicone. Is it better to wait for a while or could I get it done in a few months before my skin gets to used to these? And will I need a pocket revision? Thanks.

When to downsize your implants.

One week is far too early to judge your size. As you've said, you are swollen. The breasts will look too large, too high, and it can be a difficult "adjustment" to the new breasts. Give yourself a minimum of 3 months and to be sure, 6 months before making a size decision. The breasts will soften and the swelling will go down. If the firmness is the main issue, switching to silicone gels is certainly a better option, but again waiting at least 3 months is recommended.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Too big post aug

I would definitely wait till all the swelling goes down before you make any final decisions about size.You may get used to and actually enjoy the greater fullness but I would wait 2 to 3 months,

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Wait at least six months after breast augmentation to downsize.

Is common for most women to think they're a bit large after breast augmentation. Takes about six months to get psychologically adjusted to the change. By that time I think you'll feel the implants are just the right size.

How Long Should I Wait After Breast Augmentation to Switch to a Smaller Size Implant?

Appears as a wonderful result that 99% of patents would truly appreciate!! Best to allow more healing time to adjust to the beautiful result. 

Expectations after a breast augmentation

If you went from an A cup to a C cup it can be a shock to your body image.  You are still swollen and the implants are high.  I have had other patients who have felt the same way and most in the end are happy with the results. If at 6 months you still feel the same way a smaller implant or removing 60 cc from your existing implant is possible.  

When to switch or reduce implant volume

Your breast look swollen and high at the moment.  There is still a lot of swelling and you may reduce your current cup size by at least a half a cup size.  You should wait 6 months for the final size and settling to occur.  You may decide to remove up to 60 cc at that time if you still feel your breasts are too big.  This will reduce much of the upper pole fullness.  Changing out to silicone breast implants will definitely cost more and is a better alternative if cost is no object. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Switching to silicone is a good idea

Thanks for your ? and pic. Sorry you are frustrated but give it time and you may decide you like it. I don't agree with people who say everyone wants to be bigger. Implants should fit your breast diameter. Saline implants have to be overfilled to reduce rippling and it results in a rounder and fuller look. Silicone gives a more natural look and more importantly feels more normal. Probably going down to 300 or 325 in a Moderate Plus profile would be ideal if you decide to switch. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Changing Size

You may find after you heal, that your are the perfect size. Many patients do, as they have to adjust to seeing themselves with breast.  Discuss this with your surgeon, as he may want to wait 3 months before replacing the implants, if needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

3 to 6 months.

I would guess that over three quarters of patients who asked for an immediate size change within the first week wind up pleased with the size and not having additional surgery by the time three months have passed. 

When and if the time comes that you wish to change to a smaller size, I would be concerned that switching to 300 cc, in that you may note little change. You might ask your surgeon on the morning to aspirate 60 cc in the preop area so you can get a feel for how much of how little a change that might be.

All the best. 

Switching size

Since it has only been a week since surgery, you need to wait. You might have a considerable amount of swelling, plus your tissue is still tight. After 3 months, if you are still unhappy with your look, you can consider having some saline removed to take you back down to 300cc's. Probably, you will not need any revision with the pocket. Just be patient and let your body heal.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon