How Long Does the Swelling Last from a Tummy Tuck That Was Performed with Liposuction? (Photos)

I had a tummy tuck combined with liposuction to the flanks, upper abdomin, and back done 3 monthes ago but I am noticing some swelling. Mainly to my lower abdominal area and my lower back. How long will it take until the swelling is completely gone?

Tummy tuck and Liposuction Results

Thank you for the question and picture. 

The majority the swelling dissipates between 3 and 6 months after surgery. However, you will not see the end results of surgery until approximately one year after the tummy tuck procedure.

Although not relevant in your case, patients who are undergoing a standard tummy tuck procedure  should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the muffin top (flank) area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.

Swelling after a Tummy Tuck

Thank you for our question.  The bruising and much of the swelling will disappear over a period of weeks. However, it may be months before all swelling subsides and you see the final result of your abdominoplasty. You may also notice some numbness over portions of the abdominal area, and this may persist for several months. Incisions will initially be red or pink in color. They will remain this way for many months following surgery and may even appear to worsen before they finally begin to fade. Best of luck! 
Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does the Swelling Last from a Tummy Tuck That Was Performed with Liposuction?

I think the swelling on your lower back will likely go away over the next three months. As to the swelling on the lower part of your tummy tuck, it also can go away, but there is a small percentage of cases where it needs a little touch p liposuction after 8-12 months to flatten it out a bit more.

Julio Garcia, MD

Swelling after tummy tuck and liposuction

Most of the swelling is gone by 4-6 months however it takes more than a year to see the final result.