How Long is the Recovery Period After a Wedge Labiaplasty Procedure?

Do any medications help speed the recovery, or is recovery already pretty quick for this type of procedure (6 weeks or less?)

Recovery after wedge labiaplasty

As the inventor and medical author of the wedge technique, I obviously have extensive experience with this technique spanning 18 years.   Most patients return to relatively sedate jobs in 3-4 days.  They can walk and resume normal activities.  However, no exercise is allowed for 3-4 weeks and no intercourse for six weeks.  Eighty per cent of the swelling is gone at 6 weeks with all swelling usually gone by 4-5 months.

Labiaplasty Recovery

Every woman is different-as is every surgery and recovery.  Generally speaking, I like my patients to really “take it easy” for the first couple of days after surgery-rest, eat healthy, drink plenty of water and give their bodies a chance to heal naturally.  You can plan on getting back to work in 2-3 day.   Ice packs for the first 24 hours (and I know it’s not terribly comfortable) can help tremendously with swelling and pain.

My first follow-up exam is at 2 weeks and I ask my patients to refrain from any vigorous exercise until this exam.  Once I check a patient’s recovery personally, I usually release them to low-impact exercises that are “comfortable”, such as walking or the elliptical.   Nothing hi-impact, getting on a saddle, jarring,  hyper extending or sex at this point and generally not for at least 4-6 weeks.  You really want give yourself time to heal properly and my best advise it to to listen to your body. 

I always get questions regarding “getting in water.”  I allow my patients to shower immediately after surgery with a hypoallergenic soap.  And even suggest my patients take sitz baths a few days after surgery.  Water is not only very soothing, but is cleansing and healing.  I prefer to see a patient in-person again before swimming.

Typically, it’s business as usual in 6 weeks, but again, it’s a very individual process.  Always consult with your surgeon if you have any questions. 

Dr Lori Warren

Lori Warren, MD
Louisville Urogynecologist

Recovery after Labiaplasty

There ARE ways to speed up recovery after wedge labiaplasty.  First, your surgeon must create a durable repair, resistant to trauma.  My routine is both strong internal sutures to provide a solid closure and align the edges, supplemented by a double layer external closure creating a hermetic seal that prevents bleeding and is resistant to the inevitable friction the labia endures during daily activities.  Beyond that, topical anesthetic for the patient to use at home helps soothe the labia and allows patients to focus on other demands while the pain free labia minora are slowly healing.  Some patients believe Arnica Montana and Bromelain diminish swelling and bruising, and we supply this to patients if they want it.  Hygiene in the early post-surgical period is important to prevent odor and discomfort.  Beyond that, avoiding trauma (athletic, work, sexual) to the perineum for three to four weeks is advised for your comfort and to facilitate problem free healing.  Oral analgesics optional, and useful for many, as are cool compresses.

Steve Laverson, MD

Labiaplasty Recovery

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function.  To achieve these two most important elements I believe the Curvilinear Excision ("Trim") method works best and leaves a more imperceptible scar.  Nonetheless, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.

Best of luck...RAS

Labia minora reduction recovery

In regards to the recovery after labia minora reduction surgery here are my suggestions for patients.

I ask that a responsible adult transport the patient home. Bed rest is requested for 2 days with ice on the area during that time. Patients may resume light activity and “desk job” after 3 days but should avoid strenuous activity / sports for at least 3-4 weeks. Sexual intercourse may be resumed carefully after 4 weeks. I ask to see the patient for a post-operative visit 4-7 days after surgery and then again in a month (if possible).

Recovery After Wedge Labiaplasty

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity for approximately 4-6 weeks. Running would be about 6 weeks for my patients but walking whenever you feel comfortable.
#LabiaplastyRecovery