How long does it take to recover from a mommy makeover? Or if I just get a breast augmentation?

I would like to get a breast augmentation and a tummy tuck. I'm debating on the tummy tuck because I work at a spa as a massage therapist and I get about 5 or 6 clients a day. On most of my clients I do deep tissue, I'm always using my body mechanic's and body weight. I had a c-section before in it took me about 10 days to recover. So basically what I want to know is when will I be able to return to work and still do deep tissue after getting a tummy tuck?

What determines recovery time after mommy makeover

The biggest variable is whether or not you have a muscle separation (diastasis) because repairing that will require that you avoid strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks. Without, you may be able to start gradually phasing in after about 2 weeks, which is the same with breast augmentation alone. For deep tissue work it will be at least a few weeks before you are 100% regardless of how the procedure is done.

Recovering From a Mommy Makeover with Augmentation

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

In order to have the best results possible, I would recommend a MINIMUM of 2 weeks recovery. Of course, your plastic surgeon who knows you best, knows exactly what operation was performed, and how you are progressing, will always be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. Depending on the severity and complexity of your case, your healing time can be faster or take longer than usual. As long as you take it easy those first 2 weeks, you should be ok to return back to work within 14 days. Make sure you have a good support system to help you. Listening to your body is key, you will know what you are capable of doing and not doing. However, as long as you keep a positive attitude and are optimistic, you should be feeling great in no time.  Best wishes.

Mommy makeover aftercare

After a mommy makeover, it takes time for the implants to settle (if you got implants) and it takes time for the swelling to resolve. This can take up to 6 months so I don't usually recommend any revisions for that time. Specific questions about problems with the surgery are usually best directed to the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery. Thanks for your question!

How long his the recovery after tummy tuck and breast augmentation?

Of the two procedures you are considering tummy tuck has the longer recovery time associated with it.  Normally patients who undergo a breast augmentation are back to most normal day-to-day activities within 2-3 days this includes driving.  Normally however it is best to restrict upper body activity for up to 3 weeks.  Deep tissue massage very likely requires vigorous exertion with the upper body.  I think it would be best to wait 3 weeks before you resume this type of activity.  If your tummy tuck includes tightening of the underlying muscle layer it would be best for U

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

A breast augmentation recovery can be anywhere from one day to one week

A breast augmentation recovery can be anywhere from one day to one week based on the method that is used. A subfascial breast augmentation recovery is often one or two days, whereas a dual plane submuscular augmentation can be 3-7 days. For a full mommy makeover, which usually consists of a breast augmentation with or without a lift and a tummy tuck with or without liposuction, recovery is often 2 weeks. It can be longer if other procedures are added or somewhat shorter if the tummy tuck can be performed without liposuction. Consult with your board certified physician on your treatment plan for post operative recovery. Thank you!

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Return to work after Mommy make-over

You recovered very fast from your C-section, given the work you do.
  • Allow at least 3 weeks before you do deep tissue massage after a tummy tuck with or without the breast surgery, 
  • You may find a full day's work very tiring for at least the first week. Arrange a light schedule.
  • If your breast augmentation is over the muscle - you will have little pain and may be able to work in a week with a supportive bra.
  • Discuss the details of your recovery with your plastic surgeon once it is decided what needs to be done.

Back to work guidelines do vary from surgeon to surgeon, but I usually recommend taking at least one full week off of work after breast augmentation and 2 – 3 weeks for a mommy makeover.  It is important that you discuss your back to work plans with your surgeon so that he or she is able to tailor a plan of care for you accordingly.  Due to the type of work you are in I would suggest at least 3 - 4 weeks off.  Depending on how your recovery is proceeding, you may return to light duties if your job allows.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures. After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed. All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck). Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks. Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery. I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure. Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff. It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery. Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures. I'm sure you'll love your results. Please plan and give enough time for your recovery. Best of luck.
Dr. Basu
houston, tx

Recovery from mommy makeover or just augmentation

As a massage therapist, I imagine that you use your upper arms and your pectoralis (chest) muscles for giving the massage.  The next time you are giving a massage, really feel how you use your own muscles.  This may give you some insight on having a submuscular breast augmentation.  After surgery, these same sore muscles will be moving and it can be pretty uncomfortable. Most of my massage therapists have waited 3-4 weeks to return to their strenuous jobs or start slowly with half a schedule.  The tummy tuck will be uncomfortable also but I think you will mostly feel it in your augmented chest muscles during your job.  Please make sure to follow closely the instructions of your board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck and go slowly back to work!