I had a Mommy Makeover 7 days ago. How long until I can pick up my 8 pd poodle?

I had a mommy makeover February 4, 2014, it included a tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation. How long until I should be clear to pick my dog up and put her on the bed/couch with me? She weighs 71/2 pds.

Healing from a Mommy Makeover & Holding Pets

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

I would imagine if you want the poodle to sit with you it should be able to jump up onto the bed / couch if you put a little step stool near it so you don't have to bend over to do it. This weight isn't really a problem for you to lift now. However  if you have drains the dog may get tangled in them when you pick it up and then become anxious and accidentally pull them causing you pain or worse pull them out. 

William Aiello, M.D.   Newport Beach and Los Alamitos, CA

William Aiello, MD

Picking up poodle after "Mommy Makeover"

When my patients have an abdominoplasty I recommend that they wait 4 weeks before lifting anything heavier than 5 pounds. I have my tummy tuck patients wait an additional 2 weeks before they lift anything more than 10 pounds and I don't want them doing any ab exercises for a total of 6 weeks as well. Since you are currently just over two-weeks post op, you probably should not be picking up your 7.5 pound poodle and placing her on the bed or couch next to you. It's always best to check with your plastic surgeon to make sure that he or she doesn't have any different instructions though.

Picking up a puppy is OK after Mommy Makeover

Go ahead, you'll be fine! Although avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous activity for 6 weeks after a Mommy Makeover, holding a small puppy or child should be fine.  Doulble-check with your doctor to be sure, though..

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Post op poodle

Lifting should probably be avoided for the first two weeks but a poodle probably isn't going to cause any problems. If its sore then don't do it is always a good philosophy. I think it s more important to keep your poodle away from your incisions / wounds though!

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Weight lifting restrictions after mommy makeover

I let my patients get back into things a bit earlier than most, from what I can tell. And haven't ever had anyone have a problem doing so. I restrict aerobic exercise and elevating heart rates for the first week. I restrict weight resisted core strengthening exercises for 4-6 weeks. But pretty much everything else, I leave up to the patient. I tell them that if it hurts, don't do it. If there is a slight amount of tightness with an activity, be cautious. Everything else is fine. I would think you could pick you dog up now, if it doesn't cause you to have notable pain. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lifting dog following mommy makeover

You should be safe to lift your 7.5 pound dog within 14 days following your mommy makeover.  Follow the instructions given by your plastic surgeon for best recovery results.

Lifting restrictions after mommy makeover

It would be best to avoid lifting weights greater than ten pounds for the first 4 weeks following a mommy makeover.  Although, your poodle is only 71/2 lbs., I would still avoid picking up your dog for the next week or so.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Lifting after Mommy Makeover

It is always best to discuss post operative questions with your surgeon. He or she will be able to give you the best answer based on the specific procedures you had. 

Postoperative activity is determined by your own surgeon after mommy makeover.

I don't see any problem with lifting your poodle eight days after a mommy makeover but it is really not my decision. This is something you should discuss with your own surgeon.