I'm supposed to get a mastopexy in 4 days, can I smoke one cigarette today?

Mastopexy in 4 days, is one cigarette OK?

No. Using tobacco products brings a significant risk of cancer, stroke, heat attack, etc. From a Plastic Surgery standpoint it is a vasoconstrictor. Wound healing is all about getting oxygen and needed entities to the wound. It is well known that patients who smoke have a tremendous increase in their rate of serious complications, (infections, wounds falling apart, etc.). Nicotine is the main vasoconstrictor, so getting a patch or lozenge of nicotine won't help the vasoconstriction. Best to be off the tobacco/nicotine entirely before surgery. A breast lift by definition places the wound on tension. Tension is also a risk factor for wounds. Please be honest with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Together you can make a plan. The amount of time to be nicotine free, (before and after the surgery), will depend on the procedure and the individual surgeon.

Smoking prior to surgery

No, you should not smoke prior to your surgery. The nicotine causes constriction of your blood vessels and has been shown to decrease blood supply to your wounds and will increase the chances of skin necrosis and wound healing issues.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Breast surgery and smoking

Do not smoke before your surgery, if you do you run the risk of surgical complications. If you are not able to refrain from smoking it would be better to postpone your surgery to a later date. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy

Thank you for your question.  You should absolutely not smoke at all at this point before surgery.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Smoking

Dont do it! It is not worth the risk!

Smoking and breast lifts can be disastrous! The donw side is tremendous. 

No smoking before surgery

Hello dear! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure. I ask my patients to refrain from smoking four weeks before and four weeks after surgery. Good Luck with your surgery! I wish you the best in your surgery.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

No smoking before a mastopexy is best

Obviously you are asking this question because you have been warned about the wound healing consequences of smoking following a mastopexy.  Best follow instructions and decrease your risk of wound healing problems.  

Pre op nicotine abstention

You certainly can but you should not.  Not everyone who smokes will have a surgical disaster but you significantly increase your risks.  If my patient admitted to smoking 4 days pre op I would cancel the case.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and surgery

Smoking increases your risk of complications. I prefer to have patients avoid cigarettes for 3-4 weeks before surgery and during the recovery phase.

Please please please be abstinent or off nicotine in any form  (gigs, patches gum etc.) fr at least 4-6 weeks before a breast lift.

If you smoke or use nicotine close to a breast lift there is a very serious risk that you will lose your nipple and or areola, a horrible complicationm that can never be restyored.

If you have been smoking cancel your surgeru.