Sore swollen and sad 5 weeks PO. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had lipo on stomach hips thighs. It's almost 5 weeks still swollen really sore. Wearing suit, massage water eating well. What would cause the soreness and pain and swelling after 5 weeks. I have to wear suit if I'm walking around the swelling is still painful and gets bad

Be patient for healing to take place.

Full recovery from liposuction can take at least 6 months, so you are still very early in the healing process. Based on your photos, it does appear that you still have quite a bit of swelling, which is expected at 5 weeks post op. If you feel like you have to wear your compression garments, this is not a bad thing. Compression garments help in a couple ways during the healing process. The pressure they provide helps to reduce swelling more quickly, and they also increase your comfort during recovery. Wear them as often as possible to speed up healing and feel more comfortable when performing your daily activities. Being patient when recovering from liposuction can be difficult, but keep in mind that it is a slow process. Keep all your follow-up appointments with your plastic surgeon, and follow his or her instructions. 

Swollen 5 weeks post liposuction

I know it's hard to recover and each patient experiences different levels of discomfort. Rest assured this doesn't seem abnormal but remember you may need up 6 months to have all your swelling decrease. I would still see your surgeon in follow up however if your soreness doesn't improve. Give it time, keep your follow up appointments and keep up the healthy lifestyle!

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - worried after 5 weeks

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Liposuction will cause swelling that takes at least 6 months to fully subside.
  • Exercise will often increase the aching and swelling.
  • Yes, wearing the garment is necessary for as long as 3 months for some people.
  • I suggest you see your own surgeon for a 6 week check to be sure all is healing as expected.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post Op Worry

Thanks for your question and pictures.  Congratulations on getting through your surgery.  Rest easy, you are still very close to your surgical date.  It can take 6 months to a full year to see all that will be defined with liposuction.  Keep up the good work, don't miss your post-op appointments and let your surgeon know any concerns. 

Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Lipo

At 5 weeks after liposuction, it is common to be swollen and sometimes with some discomfort. Best to review with your surgeon. Good luck.

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction and swelling can last for months. Massage, RF treatments and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. In my practice most of my patients have very little pain 1 week after following my liposuction protocol postoperative. I suggest speaking with your physician. You may need a VASER HI Definition revision procedure. Best, Dr. Emer.

Sore swollen and sad 5 weeks PO. Any suggestions?

Some patients have very delayed recovery from swelling! Also appears as results are going to be very limited as you had very conservative lipo. You might have needed a TT?

Sore swollen and sad 5 weeks PO

Thank you for your inquiry.
You are still very early in the recovery and healing process.   The pain should be resolving over the next couple of weeks.  I would encourage you to continue with the compression garments until the pain level subsides.  

The contour and softening process will continue to improve as well but will take several months.   I tell my patients that they won't see their final results for at least 6 months after surgery.

Make sure you have keep in touch with your plastic surgeon so that he/she is aware of your concerns.   After viewing your photos, you should have a good outcome.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your persistent pain and swelling after liposuction.  Depending on the extent of liposuction performed, recovery and final results may take several months.  It sounds as if you are doing all the right things in your recovery process and as long as you have not had any setbacks, and are being closely followed by your surgeon, you need to allow more time to pass for your symptoms to improve.  Hang in there!