In a lot of pain after rhinoplasty?

My rhinoplasty was performed at 8 am this morning. It was actually very minor, I just had a very small bump. However even after taking a Percocet I am so much pain. My whole nose is killing me. Also I can breathe through my nose...should I try to breathe through my mouth only or can I breathe through my nose? And for the pain should I take a second Percocet ? I am shocked because everything I read said its just discomfort and not pain...but this is surely painful.

Call your doctor

It is true that nose surgery is ALMOST always pain free; if your having so much pain you should call your surgeon and speak to him/her.  Breathing through you mouth should not make a difference.

Fresh post-op

You are a brand new post-op and you should ask your surgeon about pain meds.  It is normal to have some pain after surgery.

Rhinoplasty pain

I would recommend calling your surgeon to discuss your pain control.  There is a small possibility of a complication(s) that can lead to excessive pain.  In the meantime, icing the nose can help.  

Good luck.

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask your surgeon!

You must trust your  surgeon that may  operated on  you!  None of  us  knows  exactly what you had done or why you would be  having  pain.   Only your doctor should advise you on taking narcotic pain medication.   

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after rhinoplasty

Since you are very early in your post-op course, you should call your surgeon directly with these questions. They will be better suited to discuss your specific situation. In general, the pain will improve over the next few days and ice is one of the best things to reduce the swelling which causes much of the pain.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon