Why isn't my drain working properly?

I just did liposuction 4 days ago & I have drains in. However I noticed that there's a lot of fluid around my stomach area & it seems like the drains aren't working properly. What should I do? I did my surgery in another state so I'm really not sure what to do.

Traveling for surgery

I'm curious from whom you plan on having the drains removed.

Since you had drains placed, there must be some plan for a follow-up visit in the very near future.

Your operating surgeon is responsible for your well-being, including managing the drains, unless prior arrangements have been made.

I suggest you contact him or her.

Perhaps they can help you find a plastic surgeon closer to where you live who can help you.

You need to be assessed by a plastic surgeon sooner rather than later.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Drains are not commonly use of liposuction.

I'm not sure why you have a drain but it is the responsibility of your surgeon to manage it. Call the surgeon's office with your concerns and ask for specific directions relative to the drains.

Drain not working properly

You will need to contact your surgeon for instructions on how to proceed regarding your drains.  Be prepared to return for a follow up visit.  If the fluid is integrated in the tissues, drains will not remove it.  Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD

Needs post-operative care but surgeon in a different state

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

• Drains are not commonly used after liposuction.
  • You would need to contact your surgeon for directions.
  • When s/he put in the drains, there must have been a plan on how to manage and remove them.
  • Your lower stomach will swell for a long time after liposuction - drains will not prevent this.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Drains and lipo

I do not use drains when I perform isolated liposuction.  You will need to monitor your drain output and have your surgeon advise you on what to do.

Drains and Liposuction

Contact your surgeon.  There may be a problem with the drains.  You may need to plan a visit to see him within the next couple of days.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD