Do I have to wear this faja? (photos)

I am 2 months post op. I had a tummy tuck, bbl, lipo of flanks,waist,full back and thighs. I can't take this faja garment anymore. Will I mess up the results of I stop wearing it now? I want my waist to be small.

Compression garment

Hello, thank you for your question and the pics. The time spent wearing the compression garment is really variable from one PS to another. In my case I leave it for 2 months full time, then I tell my patients to gradually take it off until they don't use it at all, as I've found that taking it off to quickly rebounds into swelling a bit. This will not damage your result, but I don't think you want to be swollen at all. Best is to ask your plastic surgeon, you trusted him/her with your surgery, give him the right to take care of you until the very end. Hope to have helped you with your question. Good luck

Do I have to wear this faja? (photos)

I usually recommend a compression garment for 2 months and then as much as tolerated from then on. It definitely helps with the post- operative swelling but likely will not change your long term result as long as you follow your post operative instructions from your plastic surgeon. Congratulations and hope you love your new look! 

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Two months after mommy makeover; forget the garment

Most plastic surgeons do not require patients to wear a garment two months after surgery. However they may be circumstances I am not aware of in which the garment may help you. Ultimately your plastic surgeon calls the shots. The healing process is a partnership of cooperation between the patient and the plastic surgeon. So far it looks great from the photo you posted. Good luck and enjoy your results....

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Do I have to wear this faja?

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to postoperative instruction/advice. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Do I have to wear this garment?

You would have to discuss this with your own surgeon as each of us will have different protocols for compression garments. for 2 main reasons:

1.) Controlling swelling: the compression on your tissues helps your body to reabsorb the edema fluid that accumulates in the tissues after any procedure. This can take quite some time to happen without help from the compression garments

2.) Improving contour: the compression helps to keep the tissues adherent to the underlying structures while healing, this can help prevent the wrinkled skin appearance that can happen when the tissues heal in ways we don't want them to.

3.) Improving scarring: pressure has been shown to improve the appearance of scars. A tummy tuck scar is quite long and right on the front of your body so anything that can help make it flatter, softer and less visible is to your advantage.

For those reasons many of us would argue that the compression is as important as the surgery itself so talk to your surgeon before taking it off. Best of luck!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Wearing compression garment

It would be best to ask your PS how long you should be wearing the compression garment as every doctor is different.  I usually have my patients wear it for 6 to 8 weeks but it needs to be tight not loose.  And most patients will continue wearing the garment for longer as they like the feeling of everything being held in.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck garment

There is no right or wrong answer .You are looking very good for this stage of healing so go with your doctor's recommendation,as a general rule most probably suggest 1-2 months but there is little science behind the choices

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon