Rhino AND Chin Implant? (photo)

I definitely need/want a rhinoplasty- but I'm not sure if a chin implant is entirely necessary. I kind of think so... lol. Feedback?

Rhinoplasty and Chin

A chin implant will balance your facial features.  If you are undecided about the chin, you can always do it another time.

Rhinoplasty plus chin implant...

A nose that is big often looks bigger because of a small chin. In this case a chin implant will help balance the face by comparitively making the nose look smaller, so when they are done in combination a nice balance is achieved. Ultimately, the choice is yours whether or not you want a chin implant, but a consultation with computer imaging will really help  you decide.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Since changing the shape is going to change the proportion of your face, you may find that a chin implant isn't necessary. My best advise would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to be assessed in person and discuss the best plan of action to achieve your desired results. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhino AND Chin Implant?

Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you. Whether a chin implant or a more extensive jaw surgery would be optimal depends on multiple factors including your desired outcome and personal anatomy. 

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I agree with you.

Just by looking at your one view, I tend to agree with you. In general, in cases such as yours, I recommend avoiding too many drastic changes to your face at once. In cases of obvious hypogenia (weak chin) it is easier to make the case for both. I would proceed with your plans for a rhinoplasty only as a first stage in the hands of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in whom you have confidence, and whose aesthetics align with your own. If you are pleased with your final result and still feel you would benefit from a chin augmentation, I would approach this as a fairly straight forward second stage outpatient procedure. 

Rhinoplasty is an operation with an unfortunately high revision rate, either because of a poor outcome, or an unhappy patient, or both. It is critical to feel confident that you have a rapport with your surgeon, and that you have articulated your aesthetic goals, and that you are confident that he or she can accomplish those goals for you. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant with Rhinoplasty?

I encourage you to have a chin implant because that alone will make your nose look smaller and it will improve proportions in your lower face. Having said that, if you're undecided at the time of surgery an implant can later be placed under local anesthesia. However, that would require another operation and the total cost will be more.

Computer imaging may be helpful for visualizing how you may appear after a chin implant with rhinoplasty surgery.

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for reduction of your dorsal hump, and nasal tip rotation for a less distracting and more feminine nasal appearance. Your chin is a bit underprojected, but you have a pleasing jawline and beautiful facial features. The feasibility of chin implant surgery would require an examination by an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. Hope this helps you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant combination

From the limited side photograph, it appears that there is an overly projecting nose, and an under projecting chin.  A closed rhinoplasty approach can address decreasing the projection of the nose, shaving down the dorsal hump, adjusting the nasal tip as needed, with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose.  It is also important to release the depressor septi ligament which pulls the tip down when smiling.  A chin implant can be placed at the same time to give added projection to the chin, to help with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projecting nose. For more information in many examples of this combination, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty and chin implant

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a nasal tip deprojection to decrease the overall size of your nose and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  A chin implant can be performed at the same time for a nice result.  I always use a medpor implant with screw fixation, which has a much lower risk of malrotation over time versus a silicone chin implant.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD