What happens when you remove your breast implants?

So basically I want my implants removed I was naturally an A cup now a D. I'm scared if I remove them it will be too saggy so I'm thinking about getting a lift as well? If I get them removed and a lift will my breast tissue be damaged? I'm scared once I remove the implants my entire body will sag?

Breast implant removal and lift

A lift can sometimes be done at the same time as implant removal, but sometimes it has to be delayed to a second stage.  I recommend delaying the lift if you are not sure if you will need a lift, if you have significant asymmetries, if you have very thin breast tissue or if you need a lot of work done to remove the implants (thick capsules,etc.).  Patients do surprisingly well after removing implants.  They are usually stretched out immediately after surgery but the breast seem to recover and thicken up over the course of a few months.  I recommend patients wait at least 6-12 weeks after removal to get a lift if they do it separately. Patients are usually very happy after removing their implants.  I think you should talk to a board certified plastic surgeon to get more information about which approach you should take.  Best of luck, Summer Black, MD

Breast implant removal

Your breasts will most likely appear saggy and deflated after the loss
of the implants.  You can consider having a lift at the same time, but
if you are uncomfortable with this you can wait.  It is ok to give your
breasts 3-6 months to heal in order to reveal their new look.  If you're
unhappy with the appearance you can get a lift at that time.

Camille Cash, MD

Breasts after implant removal

Sometimes a lift can be done at the same time as implant removal, and sometimes it has to be delayed. In many cases it depends upon how extensive the work is to remove the implants and also how much natural breast tissue you have.

Thank you for the question. As you can imagine, without photographs or in person evaluation, online consultants will not be of much specific help to you.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.  

For more specific guidance, best to seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  Given your description, it is likely that options such as breast lifting will be discussed as well.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps.