How many q-switched sessions will I need to remove a sunspot?

I already received 2 treatments at a low setting and each time the pigment broke up and it looks lighter but the spot is still there. We are doing a low setting Bc I was burned by a different derm/laser. Will it ever go away?

​PicoSure for Hyperpigmentation

We use the PicoSure Laser with the FOCUS lens array everyday treating pigment, fine lines and wrinkles.  It is safe for all skin types.  We warn our patients that their skin may be come blotchy and pigment may appear darker for the next 3-5 days, although in rare cases it may last up to 2 weeks. 

The PicoFOCUS gently delivers bursts of energy deep in the dermis without causing harm to the overlaying skin.  The pulses work to break up pigment and stimulates new collagen and elastin production.  Your body’s own healing process sweeps away older, damaged tissue and ramps up skin turnover.  Some pigment will actually travel to the surface making it initially appear darker.  We normally recommend a series of 4 treatments; 1 every 4 weeks.  Do not be concerned if your pigment goes away and then comes back within days to weeks; pigment is usually multiple layers deep and clears layer by layer.

Chemical peels are usually not effective at eliminating hyperpigmentation.  We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.

Fort Worth Physician

Sun spots laser treatment...

Thank you for your question.  I am a little surprised that the spot hasn't cleared after a couple of q switched treatments stacked on top of a previous treatment.  That being said if you aren't seeing results, consider a pico second laser.  Ideally, you would be treated by both nano (q - switch) and pico second pulses to really break up the pigment.  The only laser that currently has both pulses is the Cutera Enlighten.  That being said if your Dermatologist has both a q-switched and an alternative pico laser like a Picoway that should be equally as effective.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon