I wanted to get larger implants. Currently i have silicone under the muscle. Is the process the same? (Photo)

I have silicone implants under the muscle. Is it an easier surgery to replace with larger implants? Is the cost generally the same as when you go from no implants to implants as going from implants to larger implants?

About Exchanging Current Implants with a Larger Size

Yes, it is possible to #increase your implant size with a #revision. However, the #pocket will need adjustment and a lift may be necessary; to better #support the new implant. Additionally, a mesh for further support may be helpful depending on the #implant size and skin #elasticity.

With both implant types there are choices when it comes to size, shape, and profile. The criteria best to suit you will be discussed in full detail at your breast augmentation consultation. Any cosmetic #revision has risks of unhappy outcome or other complications. Also, the right implant for the revision is contingient on shape of body and your desired outcome.  Your procedure should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for another revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient #reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Implant exchange

Yes, if there are no major issues with your implants now,. the exchange can be fairly straight forward and often less painful than the original surgery.

Exchanging your breast implants with a larger size

If you have breast implants already, it is possible to exchange them to a larger size. The procedure is usually less painful since the "pocket" has already been made. The costs will vary and can depend on surgeon, geographic region, cost for the new implants, and amount of "internal" work that needs to be done. Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and be sure to have you current implant information available.

Going larger

Usually it is easier to go up a size or two, but it all depends on how large you want to be and an examination of your breasts is needed to know for sure. Costs vary surgeon to surgeon. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast implant exchange

Thanks for your question.

It is much less painful the second time around.  The breast pocket is already formed and the only question is if it is large enough to accept the new implants or does it have to be adjusted where needed.  The cost is the same in my practice.

Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Implant exchange

An exchange for larger implants is less painful than the primary augmentation because the muscle has already been stretched.  In terms of cost, all the fixed expenses are the same and it should be comparable.

Breast implant exchange

Hello and thank you for the question. Generally speaking, yes, it is easier to have implants replaced vs having implants placed the first time. 

The cost depends on the doctor. When picking a new size, you should do the at home rice test. Put some dry uncooked rice in a zip lok and insert them into your bra. Adjust the size until you have reached your goal. For most patients looking into an exchange, a minimum of 125-150cc increase is typically recommended. Less than that is likely to result in a very minimal change in size. 

Every surgery carries some risk, so be aware that even if your first surgery went well, there are always risks of complications. It's important to recognize this before moving forward. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant exchange

Thank you for your question. Most of the pain after breast augmentation surgery has to do with muscle expansion which has likely happened after your initial operation. Typically breast implant exchange procedures or not as painful. Surgeon prices vary for this procedure but typically in the same range as a BA operation.  You may also consider a hybrid breast augmentation with Autologous (your own) fat injection overlying your implants.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

I wanted to get larger implants. Currently i have silicone under the muscle. Is the process the same?

The type of revisionary breast surgery that you describe is generally  associated with very minimal recovery time/discomfort, compared to first-time breast augmentation surgery.  This is because the submuscular pocket has already been dissected/stretched.

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implants… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Replace

The second surgery should be much easier since your muscles will not need to be stretched. The cost may be similar to the first surgery depending upon where you have surgery.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon