I want to keep large breasts which is the better option a reduction and implant or a lift? (photos)

I have a DD/DDD breast and I am 51 years old and am in need of a lift. As you can see one breast is larger that the other and my nipples are too low. I would like upper fullness and more of a rounded look. Am I better off with a regular lift or a reduction and implant. I don't want smaller breasts.

I want to keep large breasts which is the better option a reduction and implant or a lift?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Breast Lift

If you do not want to decrease the volume of your breasts, a breast lift alone could help you reach your goal. A breast lift (or mastopexy) can move the nipples higher and make the breasts look more youthful, while maintaining the volume you have. A small breast reduction on the right simultaneously could improve the asymmetry that you describe. 

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

I think that you would benefit from a lift with removal of mostly skin some tissue.  You will still be large, but more uplifted. I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Best wishes!
Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift or Reduction and Implants?

There is absolutely no reason for you to ever consider using breast implants. They will only complicate the problem and lead to more problems. If you truly do not wish to be any smaller and are willing to accept that the emailing heavy breasts will probably droop again over time, then all you need is a lift on the smaller side and a small reduction on the larger to make it match the other. I would, however, strongly recommend a reduction bilaterally as the results are more likely to last better. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Reduction or lift

I would recommend a lift, which would essentially be a small reduction, and correction of asymmetry. You do not need implants.  Keep in mind that you will need the vertical T incision and that you will be prone to recurrence of the sagging should you be intent on maintaining close to the same size because the surgery cannot compensate for the effects of gravity.

You have plenty of normal breast tissue. You do not need implants. A lift or partial redcuction mammoplasty should be all that you need.

Your breasts

If you dont want them smaller leave them alone. A lift alone will fail as their weight will get them to droop again. Reductions with implants are not a good procedure. You need a small reduction which can give you a lift and more fullness. Actually , upper pole fullness comes with push up bras as gravity always wins.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast lift.  This can give you a perky and nice shape and fix your asymmetry. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast options

A lift may result in a smaller breast size, even without removing much tissue. If you want upper fullness, then implants can be added. Sizes and details would be discussed during an exam and consult with a plastic surgeon.

Excellent question

Thank you for your questions. I have many patients like you. Based on your photos, I think that you would do beautifully with a lift (mastopexy). This would give you fullness in the upper and inner breast areas in particular and a much better shape. Realize that all lifts reduce the breast size to some degree but this could be kept to a minimum and you would still be very full in size.

A discussion with a board certified plastic surgeon with a lot of experience (ten years or more) would be essential and you should feel very comfortable with your surgeon. I am sure that you can get answers to all of your questions during your consultation.

Best of luck. I hope that this helps.

Leland Deane MD FACS
Garden City, NY
Babylon, NY

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon