I need some advice about melsma after Fraxel. Will it go away on its own? (Photo)

I had 5 fraxel treatment to try and fix my acne scars my last treatment was February 2014. My skin has turned dark where the fraxel was and left me with lines around my eyes where he didn't do the treatment. Since then I've had 2 melanage peels and used brightling creams to try and fix the demarcation lines along with sunscreens in the sun it's been about 8 months since my fraxel. My dr is assuring me this will go away on it's own, I haven't seen any improvement. What do u think?

Melasma After Fraxel

Fraxel is a wonderful treatment for acne scars and hyper pigmentation.  Do you have photos before the treatment? The hyper pigmentation which you show on the photo will not go away on its own. Melasma is complex and requires special treatment.  Were you in the sun after the Fraxel? What protocol did your doctor give you? I have had great success with Cosmelan.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in fraxel and melasma.

Melasma after Fraxel

Melasma is generally due to a hormonal imbalance but can worsen with unprotected sun exposure and heat. Typically prior to a fraxel treatment, one would pretreat with a skin brightner, retinol, and a mineral based sun protectant. It is also imperative that between treatments patients protect their skin from sunlight and heat. Did you follow a pretreatment protocol? Were you out of the sun between treatments? Have you been to a hormone specialist? Without knowing the answers to the above questions it is a bit challenging to give you a well formed opinion. My recommendation would be to go and visit with a physician  in person for this particular concern.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Hyperpigmentation after the Fraxel laser

After 8 months, it won't go away on its own.  This is now a difficult problem to fix.  Sun protection, Retin A, hydroquinones, peels should be used.  I would seek another opinion from a cosmetic dermatologist.

Steven F. Weiner, MD