Hematoma after prophylactic bilateral double mastectomy. Is it safe to massage the area?

Hi. I had a mastectomy about 2 1/2 weeks ago and the mesh in my left breast broke from the sutures from my armpit and caused a hematoma on the top of my left breast. (Which is small but feels like a hard balled up rubber band).It happened a few days ago. Is it safe to massage the area? should I put ice or heat on it or leave it alone?

Hematoma solutions

You can try heat or cold - whatever feels better. Massage won't help too much. Arnica Montana is a natural supplement that can help speed resorption and aid healing. Ultimately, your body will take care of it with time.

Issue after mastectomy

I think that you need to be seen in person to determine what needs to be done. The best person to ask is your surgeon. Good luck

Hematoma after implant reconstruction can be a serious condition. Please see your plastic surgeon to address this issue. 

Ali Sadeghi, MD, FACS
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Please check in with your doctor.

I recommend that you don't massage anything until you have received explicit instructions from your plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. Definitely make an appointment to see your surgeon, but based on the description and timeline, I would simply leave the area alone for now. If possible, wear a bra which provides gentle compression to that area.

Taylor Theunissen, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon