Hairline lowering VS hair transplant? (Photo)

Hello! I hate how big my forehead is, and I was wondering which procedure would I most benefit from by looking at the photos provided? Hairline lowering or hair transplant?

How low?

It all depend the amount of forehead you want to have reduced.
1cm, 2cm, 3cm?

You can do 1 to 2 cm with a hair transplant surgery.
Anything greater than 2cm you likely need forehead reduction surgery.
You can also combine the two surgeries to achieve the benefits that each surgery can provide.

The best doctors who perform forehead reduction surgery are Dr. Gal Aharonov and Dr. Sheldon Kabaker in my opinion.

NOTE: Forehead reduction surgery will cause a faint scar and sometime you may need hair grafting to disguise the car. Forehead reduction surgery also cannot round out the front corners like a hair transplant surgery. Hair transplant surgery however will never give you the full density and immediate gratification of a forehead reduction surgery.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline Lowering vs. Hair Transplant

With your hairline and density, a hairline lowering would be the ideal procedure.  It would be impossible to match your current density with a hair transplant even after multiple sessions over several years.  

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline Lwering Procedure vs Hair Transplants

For over 35 years I've always preferred the hairline lowering procedure because the patient achieve normal uniform hair density which gives them total freedom of hair styling. This cannot be achieved with hair transplants.

Hairline lowering surgery vs hair transplants

Hairline lowering procedures should only be done on women or on men who do not contain the balding genes. That means that men wanting this surgical option should be genetically tested first, perhaps using something like the HiarDX genetic test. For women who do not usually lose hair (as they do not have patterned baldness), the hairline lowering surgical procedure has value since there is no significant danger of the hairline rising above the point of surgery.

The advantages of the surgical lowering procedure (like a brow lift in reverse) is that the results are basically instantaneous, a week or two after healing is complete. The hair was there prior to the surgery (but after the surgery just a few centimeters lower), so you do not have to wait for the hair to grow out like with a hair transplant. If you need more than one inch lowering, then the transplant option may be better. Some people with the hairline lowering procedure will develop a scar at the hairline and may require transplants to hide it.

The hair transplant hairline lowering procedure is demonstrated in four women below in the web reference. The results are every bit as good and there is no scar in front. This technique requires 6-8 months for the hair to grow, so it takes longer. If you hair is very fine, however, the surgical approach is better because more hair is moved than with the hair transplant approach and people with fine hair need more hair.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Big forehead

I prefer the surgical hairline lowering operation for many reasons. The most notable  is the normal density of hair that can be the result . The near immediate result is also a great benefit. The scar can be invisible  if the frontal hair direction is forward. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon