When can I expect to resume my activities st the gym? Pilates and kickboxing. My full abdominoplasty surgery is in a few weeks.

I do Pilates 3-4 times per week. Kickboxing 1 time per week. Elliptical 2-3 times per week. How long before I can expect to resume these activities? My doctor said after 4 weeks I should be able to resume all normal activities. After reading some of the comments, I'm not so sure about that.

Tummy tuck downtime

Thank you for your question. Depending on the amount of muscle work, this will vary from patient to patient and between plastic surgeons.  With my lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck significant muscle plication is done to bring in the waistline. I recommend no abdominal exercises for eight weeks which is when the muscle repair has 80% of the strength. 

It could take several weeks to return to vigorous activity following a tummy tuck.

Within 1 to 2 weeks, you should be able to resume light daily activities, though at our practice, we don’t recommend resuming vigorous exercise this soon. As with any procedure, it’s important to note that every individual recovers at his or her own pace, but in general, most surgeons suggest waiting 4 to 6 weeks following your tummy tuck to beginning regular exercise again. I encourage my patients to start with light low-impact activity, like the elliptical, and work their way up from there. With Pilates and kickboxing, I suggest you wait at least 8 weeks before resuming these activities. The most important thing you can do is listen to your body. Just pace yourself, take it slow and always discuss any concerns with your surgeon.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pilates and Kickboxing after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  After a tummy tuck I usually recommend waiting at least 4-6 weeks for most patients to return to normal activities.  For more than the average workout like pilates or kickboxing or something like crossfit, I usually recommend waiting closer to 8-10 weeks to really get back into it.  This will ensure that things are closer to 100% healed.  I would discuss this further with your surgeon to be clear on exactly what they are ok with you doing.  It is always safer to be a little more careful in the beginning to prevent complications that can prolong downtime if they unfortunately occur.   Best of Luck!

Dr. Tag

Since a full abdominoplasty indicates muscle tightening, you should expect to recover for six weeks. Even then, you will be re-evaluated by your surgeon, and I would follow his/her guidelines. Remember that you will need to begin your exercise program gradually after your procedure. Good luck!

Aftercare in abdominoplasty

You should be able to slowly resume your workouts four weeks after surgery and have all restrictions lifted around six weeks post operatively. You should carefully review your surgeon's recommendations and follow them. Good luck!

Resume gym work after tummy tuck surgery?

It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise (such as kickboxing…) for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase your activity level. Best wishes.

When can I expect to resume my activities at the gym?

Thank you for your question. We usually recommend refraining from these activities for about 6 weeks after abdominoplasty, however, every plastic surgeon has their own protocols. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

When can I expect to resume my activities st the gym?

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, patients typically return to the gym about 4-6 weeks after abdominoplasty.  Return to the gym should be slow and gradual and not at full intensity.  Surgeons will differ with their recommendation so be sure to check with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  This varies a little from doctor to doctor.  Usually it's from 4 to 6 weeks.  You should always follow your doctor's recommendation since he/she is the only one that know exactly what was done.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Exercise after Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals. Depending on the extent of your abdominoplasty and your general physical condition, you may be able to return to non-strenuous work anywhere from one to three weeks after surgery. In many instances, you can resume most of your normal activities, including some form of mild exercise, after a few weeks. You may continue to experience some mild, periodic discomfort and swelling during this time, but such feelings are normal. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeonHoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon