What causes a Dorsal hump ? (photos)

I don't know if you can tell but i have a hump of something, what causes a hump ? I

A dorsal hump can come from many things...

A dorsal hump may be the result of a nasal fracture, but it may also be due normal growth of the nose. A genetic influence may be strong, but often times around the start of puberty, the bone and cartilage around simply start to grow. A well performed rhinoplasty can take down the bump and make the nose look very natural. Be sure to see a rhinoplasty specialist for consultation.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump

The "bump" on your nose is a combination of nasal bones and the cartilage below the bones. Shaving down the bone and cartilage and then narrowing of the widened vault will give you a nose more balanced with your other delicate features.

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

What causes the dorsal hump?

The dorsal hump is  thearea of the nose where there is a growth center for both bone and cartilage. The hump therefore is composed of both cartilage and bone. It also becomes larger when there is repetitive trauma to that area. A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the hump,  and will then necessitate osteotomies to narrow the bridge line. For more information many examples, please see the link and the video below

Hello and thank you for your question. A dorsal hump can be caused by nasal bones and nasal dorsal septal cartilage.   Based on your photograph, you may benefit a conservative dorsal hump reduction. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What is a dorsal hump?

The dorsal hump is mainly seen from the lateral or sideview and is composed of both bone and cartilage. If the nasal bones are very wide as well, the dorsal hump can also be seen from the front view based on observation of light reflex and shadows. Sometimes the  dorsal  hump is not present on a pure lateral or side view but a three-quarter hump is present which can be visualized on an oblique or partial side view. These can be rasped ("shaved") down during rhinoplasty if small or cut out when larger.

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS

Dorsal hump

A dorsal hump develops either from trauma or genetics.  It consists of bone and cartilage. The treatment is to shave down the bone and to trim the cartilage.   Best of luck!

Your features come from your family tree --- odds are you look like one of your parents or grandparents. The dorsal hump is either bone or cartilage or both. I can be removed with a rhinoplasty. We would be glad to see you to discuss any changes you want made to your nose. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Thank you for your question. A detailed history is important in yours and every case since some of the dorsal humps are caused or exacerbated by trauma. In general a dorsal hump is made up of bone and cartilage and to address it both of these tissues need to be handled properly. Also, osteotomies are generally required to restore nasal width after hump reduction. You should schedule an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon and discuss this in detail. Good luck!

Dorsal Hump

Trauma to the nose could cause a dorsal hump. Also, you may have inherited it.  Discuss your options with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD