Candidate for Umbilicoplasty? (photos)

I had two children 14 months apart. I always had a nice innie belly button, but during both pregnancies it popped and never looked the same. I seem to have extra skin on the top. I work out a lot and have flattened my tummy, but the appearance of my belly button makes me self conscious of my mid-section. Would Umbilicoplasty help the appearance, or is another approach recommended? What kind of specialist should I look for? TIA

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Doctor Answers 3

Belly Button Surgery - Umbilical Hernia and Rectus Diastasis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question about Belly Button Surgery and for including pictures.

Based solely on the pictures, you appear to have an umbilical hernia and rectus diastasis.  Both can be fixed with some form of a tummy tuck.

To be sure what is best for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have Belly Button Surgery and/or Tummy Tuck.

I hope this helps.

Nashville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Belly Button

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello, it appears that this may be a small hernia with the culprit most likely being a small piece of fat. I would seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who also trained in general surgeon. They are pretty this is a typical training route for many plastic surgeons. They should be able to easily fix the hernia and address and redundant skin if needed. Good Luck. 

Do You Have An Umbilical Hernia After Pregnancy?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes, I think you have a hernia.  Your story is classic and while I haven't examined you, the appearance certainly resembles a hernia.
So, you have several choices.  You can have the hernia fixed by a general surgeon - but they are likely to give you a scar you won't like.  Or you can see a plastic surgeon and trust that they will fix the hernia well.
My suggestion is that you find a team of both to do this together.  The plastic surgeon will protect you from the aggressive nature of the general surgeon and control your scar.  The general surgeon will make sure that the hernia is fixed properly even though the plastic surgeon is harassing him to keep the incision small and discreet.
I've done a bunch of these with my general surgery friends and it's always a negotiation, but in the end all of our patients have gotten good care.
Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.