I had a Breast Aug 14 days ago. Had seroma pocket that opened and drained a bit that developed about 5 days ago. (photos)

please help! my right breast is still filled with fluid. I have not ran a fever but just now took temp of 99.7. I have been to SEVERAL ER's and have trying calling about 20 plastic surgeons to see if I can get care and I am being turned away! I'm nervous. I have been in communication with my doctor, he is great, however, he can't help from another state. It has been clearish/bloody type fluid coming out but only dripping slowly since the initial opening of the seroma. Nowhere to turn.

Breast concerns

If you have tried several ER's with no luck then it is time to return to your surgeon.  You need to ensure that an infection is not present.  Keep in close communication with your surgeon.  Does he have any colleagues in your area that would be willing to see you? I'm sure it's frustrating, but a trip back to your surgeon may be necessary.

See your surgeon

this sounds like an infection or potential infection until proven otherwise - I would definitely travel to see your surgeon to address this urgently or be seen locally at an ER a major university hospital

Breast augmentation - fever and drainage on day 14

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• I am very sorry this is happening to you.
  • When a breast augmentation incision opens and drains, it is an infection until proved otherwise.
  • You almost certainly have an infection which is why your breast is still filling with fluid and you have a fever.
  • If no surgeon in your area will see you, you need to return to your out-of-state doctor.
  • In the future, it is always wise to arrange follow up with a local plastic surgeon before having surgery out of state.
  • Plastic surgeons around NY usually do not see unknown patients from other plastic surgeon's patients, presumably for legal reasons.
  • So call your surgeon and see him as soon as possible.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

2 weeks post op, advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

I recommend you to apply local wound care with an antibacterial soap and to maintain the wound dry and clean. Also tell your plastic surgeon what's going on and follow his advices.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breasts augmentation infection

Dear NewYorker,

Thanks for the pictures and sorry for your problem. From the pictures it appears that you have infection and the low grade fever is probably confirming it.

I understand the difficult logistics of traveling back to your surgeon, but eventually you might need to do it. At the present time, a good option is to go to the local emergency room or to your internist and obtain a specimen of the drainage for culture and sensitivity. Have them send it to the laboratory,  so that you will be on the proper antibiotics. In the meantime, until the results come back (2-3 days), you should be on broad spectrum antibiotics including for MRSA. 

The local doctors should contact your surgeon and design together a plan of action in regard to the antibiotics and the wound care. There is a chance that your infection will be eliminated and your implant will be salvaged , however, if that does not occur, you will have to return to your surgeon for implant removal , follow ups and plan for redo breasts augmentation.

I hope this helps,

Dr Widder

Original surgeon

You need to travel back to wherever you had your original surgery performed to see your surgeon for definitive care. It is unlikely you will be able to get a local surgeon to help you in any significant way until something really bad like an infection around the implant happens. Best to see your original surgeon and have the problem addressed. 

I had a breast augmentation complicated by a seroma pocket that has opened and drained.

Thank you for sharing your question, photographs, and experience.  I am sorry to hear of your seroma issues and at this point would strongly recommend revisiting your original surgeon to obtain definite care.  This is a potentially hazardous situation with infection of your implant a distinct possibility.  If this is the case, you may need to have the implant removed.  

You have three options

Option # 1 is to go see your surgeon even if it means you need to travel.  This is the problem with having an out of town surgeon.  If all goes well you are happy but if and when a problem develops you are out of luck.  Surgery has risks and unfortunately sometimes a patient needs her surgeon to help get through a difficult recovery like you are having.  My best advise is to see your surgeon who knows what was done and can help you.  Option #2 is find a local doc.  Local docs are turning you down as they don't want to take on the responsibility and liability of some other doc's complication.  Surgeons have been sued when taking care of a complication for someone else and at the end of the day many feel that there is little upside to trying to help and major potential downside.  Option #3 is to go to the ER of a hospital that has a plastic surgeon on-call who can best help you.  If there is a major university in your area at a teaching hospital they are going to have a plastic surgery department and this is probably your best bet of getting seen locally.  These are really the best options but you need to be seen and treated before your situation gets worse.

Problems with traveling for plastic surgery

I recommend you travel back to your surgeon for help. It will end up saving you time as you can see from all the time you are wasting trying to find someone for followup. You do not have an emergency situation,yet, but it may become an emergency without proper care. If you cannot travel back to your surgeon for help, then he should be able to call around and find someone to see you locally. A direct surgeon to surgeon phone call works wonders and is the appropriate way to hand off a patient. Regardless, if you cannot get back to your surgeon, you are going to have to pay for care by someone else. While it's too late for you, these are the things to consider before one travels for plastic surgery. Best of luck

Melinda Haws, MD

See Doctor Immediately

Find yourself a board certified plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon MUST have someone covering him.

Good luck