I have a crease in my chin after botox. Can it be fixed? (Photo)

I had Botox injected into my chin 3 months ago. I now have this crease in my chin that I never had before. I have read that Botox can turn your muscle into fat and muscle wasting away. Not sure what to do about this to fix it now, I am so depressed at what has happened to my chin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chin crease

The chin crease may be he way the muscle animates after a portion is paralyzed by the Botox. Best to give it time to wear off and see how it looks.

Chin dimple after Botox

Hello Scaduto421,

That is most likely the result of a part of the muscle being innervated as the effects of Botox are wearing off asymmetrically.  I would give it more time to see your result.  Botox would not turn your muscle into fat.  With repeat injections the muscle can shrink since it is being used (think of what a leg in a cast looks like right when the cast comes off how small the muscle is compared to the other side).  Once the effects of Botox wear off if it still persists (this would be rare) I would follow up with your facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to discuss options.  Fillers certainly can be used to camouflage this area if it were required. 

I hope this helps and good luck.

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crease in chin

Thank you for your question and photos.  You will have to wait for the effects of Botox to wear off, which can take about three months.  Please make sure you are seeing a board certified physician that is an expert with experience in Botox injections.

Botox and Chin wrinkles

Botox can be used to minimize wrinkles in the chin area.  One potential side effect is freezing certain muscles and appearing irregular now the way your chin appears.  This side effect should go away in several months and should wear off.

Chin crease after Botox injections

I would recommend giving it just a bit more time to see if it reverses on its own.  If this was your first injection in this area it is not likely that you have already developed the type of atrophy that we see with repeat injections over time to the same muscles.  Don't lose hope yet!  It may also be helpful to go back to your injector and see if they can help you through this.  I hope this answer helps!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Unwanted Chin Crease After Botox

I'm so sorry you did not get the result you were hoping for with your Botox injections.  Here is the good news - I would still give it more time to allow the Botox to wear off.  Normal duration of Botox lasts 3-4 months.  Be sure to follow back up with your injector after the 4 month period to evaluate other options should your crease persist.  Best of luck!

I have a crease in my chin after botox. Can it be fixed

Thank you for your photographs and questions.  I am sorry that your Botox experience did not leave you with the result you were hoping for, and in my opinion I would wait at least another month until your Botox has completely worn off to see how your chin looks at that time.  If the indentation is as pronounced, and it is still troubling to you, placement of a filler to add volume to the area would be a good option for you.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can make the best treatment recommendations with an in-person examination. 

I have a crease in my chin after botox. Can it be fixed?

The normal duration of Botox is 3 to 4 months.  Botox doesn't turn muscle into fat.  It is a neurotoxin that reduces the appearance of lines with animation.  Once the muscle relaxation related to botox has completely resolved, would talk with your physician.  Soft tissue fillers will be able to fix the crease if it persists. 

R. Stewart Collins, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon