Am I a candidate for a mini tummy tuck? (Photo)

I am a mother of 3 with some fat around the tummy. My main issue is loose skin. I also have a small scar (keloid) below my belly button from a tubal ligation that I would like removed. Bases on the pictures, do you think I qualify for a mini tummy tuck? Also, how likely will it be to get a scar from the procedure? (Scarring is also a concern of mine)

Am I a candidate for a mini tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Specific/meaningful advice would necessitate an in person evaluation;  complete history/ physical examination/discussion of goals/expectations will be necessary. Having said that, based on your history and photographs, it is likely that you will be best off undergoing tummy tuck surgery.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Full tummy tuck

Thank you for your pictures and question, I would recommend a full tummy tuck with muscle tightening for a nice flat abdomen , please consult with a board certified PS,good luck!

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be performed to improve the contour of your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Dr. Derby Sang Caputo

Thank you for your question and your photo.

You seem to be a great candidate for a full TT combined with a lipo for better results. I suggest you to consult a board certified PS and go over all your concerns.

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with Vaser H definition liposculpture to your hips and back.  You should get a great result from liposculpture, giving you a more contoured and hourglass shape with better projection to your buttocks.

Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Mini vs. full tummy tuck

Most patients benefit from a full tummy tuck for the best results.  The excess skin is re-draped and removed with muscle tightening in a standard abdominoplasty.  A mini tummy tuck is limited to the lower abdomen only and still has a significant scar.  Liposuction maybe combined with earth procedure.  With a tummy tuck the scars are placed low on the abdomen and around the belly button; there is a risk of keloids.  

Mini TT an option?

Hello, if you are mainly concerned about the appearance of the lower abdomen then a mini TT might be a consideration.  If you want to improve the entire abdomen a full TT would be more appropriate.  Either operation always results in a permanent scar on the lower abdomen.

Mini tummy tucks provide only some improvements

HI needurexpertise.  Thanks for sharing photos.  An examination of dynamic muscle laxity above & below your belly button is necessary to say for sure whether you are going to get a good result with a mini tuck. Generally speaking, mini tucks do not extend any correction above the belly button (the wrinkling will still be there) but your PS may be willing to do so, which will permit removal of the scar below the belly button. A low placed incision is easily concealed in underwear/swimsuits, and the resulting scar ideally will be soft, flat, thin and skin colored when mature.  There are treatments for scars which can also help (topical silicone, microneedling, steroid injections, lasers, etc) depending upon the goal.  Also, having hanging skin when bending forward is likely to continue even after the tuck if you have skin laxity.  Your PS will remove enough tissue that you are flat when erect, but not so tight that you can't twist or bend backwards a little without widening the scar.  Best wishes,

Mini tummy tuck candidate?

Thank you for your question. It is very hard to say whether you´re a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck based on these photos.  Tummy tuck surgery is one of our favorite operations because of the dramatic improvements abdominoplasty patients achieve.  There are various types of abdominoplasty procedures for patients to choose from. Each one is designed to treat a specific set of needs.  In consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon, the choice of procedure will be made based on your anatomic features and desired outcome.  While all tummy tucks have in common that they tighten the abdominal skin, there are two key differences between the various procedures. The incision lengths vary depending on the amount of skin to be excised, and the abdominal muscles may be tightened if they have excess laxity.

The length of the incision is determined by the amount of loose skin that is to be removed. The incision lengths vary from as short as six inches (Mini Tummy Tuck) to as long as the entire circumference of the waist (Body Lift). The most common incision length runs from hip to hip concealed beneath the bikini line (Full or Traditional Tummy Tuck).

That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Mini tummy tuck

It's extremely difficult to say, from these photos, whether you would be one  of the patients who could benefit from the mini tuck alone.  If there is bulging above the umbilicus, then a modified tummy tuck would be the preferred procedure, possibly including some liposuction. As for the keloid, this may be scar hypertrophy instead. If you really do keloid, then that is a significant risk factor in considering abdominoplasty. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation for evaluation and a surgical proposal.