Are 650cc silicone implants and a periareolar lift a good option for my Breast Implant Revision? (photos)

In need of a Breast Implant Revision. Saline implants were placed submusclarly & through the infamammary crease in 2010. Unaware of how many cc's are in my implants. I'm 25 with no children. ht. & wt. is 5'5" and 140lbs. Breasts were asymmetric and tuberous to begin with but has gotten worse throughout the years. Breasts are uneven and have moderate lateral displacement, especially on right breast which is very uncomfortable. Note: had a capsular contracture 1 year after surgery, had it removed.

Breast Lift May be Beneficial with Revision

The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) often as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss . Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #AugmentationMastopexy.

With both implant types there are choices when it comes to size, shape, and profile. The criteria best to suit you will be discussed in full detail at your breast augmentation consultation. 

Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct height may also be addressed. I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Implant exchange and lift

Thank you for your question and posting appropriate pictures.   You may benefit from breast implant revision with implant exchange using textured silicone implants and potentially a lift. Internal pockets need to be revised. You would need a consultation to discuss options and for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Implant revision

It is best if you can find out what size implants you have now in order to re-size you appropriately. You may need more of a lift than a circumareolar approach.

Augment revision

You should be able to obtain medical records from the initial operation if performed in the United States, which should reflect the implant volume.  Going larger will simply accentuate the asymmetry and tuberosity. This is a complex situation which cannot be reduced to online comments.  Best wishes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

Larger implants

Your situation is a difficult one, considering the fact that you don't know what size you are currently.  Using a bigger implant with a peri-areolar lift will NOT improve your lateral displacement of implants.  If anything, using the same implants or SMALLER and closing the lateral pocket will help with this.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Urmen Desai, MD, MPH, FACS

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for the question and the photos. When deciding to go larger, the best advice is to do the rice test at home. Add dry rice to a ziplock or old nylon stocking and keep adding volume until you reach your desired size. For most women, at least 150cc increase is needed to see a noticeable difference. The average padded bra from victoria secret will give most women the appearance of about 150-200 cc of added size. 

You might need a breast lift one day to help reshape the breast. However, I would avoid this procedure until you have finished having children. Your pics do not show a significant tuberous deformity, but that would best be answered in person. 

To avoid the "sliding" implant, you might want to consider textured implants for the exchange. Textured implants do not jiggle and bounce as much as a smooth implant, but it will avoid the lateral fall when you lay down. 

The pic with your arms outstretched appear ABOVE the muscle not below. If you do a revision, I would suggest repositioning them to the under muscle position. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Are 650cc silicone implants and a periareolar lift a good option for my Breast Implant Revision?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  

Generally speaking, patients undergoing revisionary breast surgery should understand that there may be many variables besides breast implant volume that come into play when determining optimal  breast implant selection during revisionary breast surgery.  As you mentioned, adjustment of the breast implant capsules (capsulorraphy) may be necessary; this adjustment may be a factor when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.  Lots to factors to consider...

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.  Personally, I find it most beneficial to have a wide range of breast implant types, sizes, and profiles available.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.