How Long Does It Take for Dissolvable Stitches to Dissolve After Bladder Lift/Vaginoplasty Surgery?

It's been 4 weeks.

Dissolvable stitches for Vaginoplasty

The time need for sutures to be absorbed varies based on the type of suture utilized for the wound closure.  Most sutures dissolve in 3 months but if this is something you are concerned about you could question your surgeon so that they could provide you with a more specific answer based on what is used with their closure.

West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Dissolvable stitches for Vaginoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Dissolvable stitches for Vaginoplasty

Because there are many different types of "dissolvable" stitches, I would have to know the exact kind to accurately answer your question.  Some stitches dissolve in as little as 5-7 days and others can take over 5-6 weeks to dissolve.  Most commonly the dissolvable stitches used on the outside of the skin dissolve within 2-3 weeks.  Hope this helps...RAS

Dissolvable stitches for Vaginoplasty

Sutures eventually dissolve and fall off.

The majority of pelvic surgeons use dissolvable sutures in the deep and superficial layers of vagina. The typical sutures dissolve in 2 wks but most should be dissolved and fallen out by 6 wks. Good luck.

Stitches

There is a wide range of dissolveable sutures. They dissolve anywhere between 3 days to 3 months. In vaginal surgery, I typically use vi rye on the inside for vaginal tightening which takes longer to dissolve or fall out. For labiaplasty or surgery on the outside of the vagina, I use plain gut suture which takes 10-14 days to weaken and fall out. 

Stitches

How Long Does it Take for Vaginoplasty to Dissolve?

In vaginoplasty, there are several types of sutures used. Every surgeon has a preference. Most sutures used at the level of the skin will dissolve completely in about 6 weeks. Those used in the deeper muscle layers dissolve completely in about 6 months. Some surgeons use permanent sutures to hold the edges of the bladder lift beneath the pubic bone. Ask your surgeon.

Dissolvable Sutures?

You will need to check with your surgeon to see what type of sutures were used;  each type has a different absorption profile.

Dissolvable Sutures?

Thank you for your question.  It really depends on why type of dissolvable stitches they used.  The ones used on the skin usually dissolve in 2 -3 weeks.  If it's in the vagina, we usually use stitches that take a little longer to dissolve.  You should ask your doctors office since they know what stitches they used.

Dissolvable Stitches: A Timeline

The specific answer to this question can only be provided by your surgeon because different suture materials will dissolve at different rates. In my practice I tell patients to expect to see pieces of stitches on the toilet paper or in their under ware about 7-10 days after surgery as the stitches start to dissolve. By 6 weeks after surgery the stitches should all be completely gone. Cheers!

Dissolvable Stitches: A Timeline