How long before scraping down cartilage from ear?

I had a rhinoplasty which resulted in a saddle. I had another which took cartilege from my ear. It resulted in a large painful bump on one side on the top My skin stings and is reddish at the bump. The nose is asymmetrical and the bump makes me a little dizzy. Would scraping relieve the stinging? Should I wait a year for the rest of the nose to settle down so that the nose can be shaped accurately?. It took my nose three years to settle down the last time. Thanks.

Doctor Answers 2

How long before scraping down cartilage from ear?

Although it is impossible to give you an accurate answer without examining you, a discrete, focal and firm bump may be due to an underlying bony or cartilagenous irregularity that will unlikely completely resolve with time. However, if it is a more generalized swelling in one area, it may improve over time. With respect to the pain, it should improve but this is unpredictable and can take time. Ultimately, I would not entertain a revision until 1 year has passed and things have settled further. Good luck.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Painful nose after revision rhinoplasty using auricular cartilage

Typically, I would recommend a year between subsequent surgical interventions on a nose. You mentioned tenderness that persists, this can linger for quite some time, and I would not consider that to be a sign of a problem. If some asymmetry persists after a year, then this may be more of a persistent feature in which time something can be done. However, one also should realize that perfection may not be obtainable, some irregularities may persist on account of inherent irregularities to the cartilage graft from the ear, which itself is not entirely without irregularities. Proceed cautiously and seek the opinion of your surgeon who may have valuable insight.

Arthur N. Falk, MD
Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.