Looking to do some type of facial rejuvenation. Any suggestions?

I am 53 and looking to improve my skin due to teenage cystic acne, sun damage, some wrinkles and just different kind of marks etc. I was considering Deka, but is there any other procedure I should consider? Thank you.... :)

Skin aging options

Dear Patient from Long Beach NY,

There are multiple ways to improve the skin. There are medications you could use, Mild light and laser treatments you could use and more invasive surgical lasers as well.

The skin is able to repair itself and the amount of repair depends on the amount of damage created. 

Most skin procedure work by damaging the skin and then having the body repair that damage. 

Full ablative lasers have the best results but require time for recovery. 

I'll include a link to a video about ways to prevent and treat wrinkles.

I hope this was helpful.

Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dr. Felipe Amaya recommendation

I have reviewed your case and it seems that you are a good candidate to make a chemical peel. This is a safe process without surgery, which helps remove spots, wrinkles and other aesthetic problems.
It is intended to improve and smooth the texture of facial skin as it removes its damaged outer layers achieving a more youthful appearance.

An in person evaluation would be needed to know if the peeling is suitable for you.

Felipe Amaya, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Skin rejuvenation

Hi there,

I think you are headed in the right direction. Laser resurfacing is a good idea to treat acne scars, sun damage, and aging.

I don't have experience with Deka, but it sound like it is a fractional CO2 laser. 
Make sure you trust the place you are at and that you follow the skin care to preserve the results.

Hope this helps
Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

You sound like an excellent candidate for laser skin resurfacing.

Based on the concerns you mention, such as cystic acne scars, sun damage, fine lines and other blemishes, you sound like an ideal candidate for laser skin resurfacing. Laser resurfacing uses heat and energy from focused lasers to stimulate collagen, elastin and other natural properties in the skin. This helps create new skin cells and encourages your skin’s natural healing process to rejuvenate your appearance and improve any blemishes you may have. You may wish to complement your laser skin resurfacing treatment with the use of medical grade skincare products.

Skin Rejuvenation (non-surgical) - Combination of Treatments Needed

The best treatment for skin rejuvenation and prevention depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, and overall health. In order to give you an accurate treatment plan, a consultation is required to properly assess your skin. I recommend  a healthy lifestyle: a diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and fish; eight to ten hours of sleep nightly; limiting alcohol intake other than the occasional glass of red wine; and regular exercise.

An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns. 

When it comes to rejuvenating and prevention treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (skin care products including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), neurotoxins (Botox®, Xeomin®), dermal fillers (Restylane®, Juvederm®, Esthelis®, Belotero®, Emervel®, Radiesse®), skin resurfacing procedures (laser resurfacing with CO2 laser, Er:YAG laser, Fraxel DUAL®, PicoSure® FOCUS Lens Array or OBAGI® controlled depth chemical peel) and other devices such as Ultherapy® can be used. 

These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Skin Care

Hello, the combination of a daily skin care regimen including a mild wash, sunscreen moisturizer, and retin a or retinol would be a minimum of recommendation. This combined with resurfacing - laser or strong chemical peel could help to improve your skin. Many people have lasers. ...I recommend finding a board certified physician in the field of plastic surgery or dermatology as they are trained in this.  

Skin rejuvenation

Thanks for sharing. There are many options to improve you skin ranging from skin care with retinol to chemical peels and lasers and surgery.  Sounds like you are considering a fractional CO2 laser which is a good choice for many skin types.  You would need to consult with several board certified physicians than can review your surgical and nonsurgical options.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

In general, the best recommendations come during an in-office examination where your skin can be evaluated more closely.  Also, a discussion on your goals can be completed.

Typically, if significant sun damage, wrinkles, and acne scarring are present then a fractional CO2 laser may be indicated.  

The attached link and website provides more information.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

There are many factors that go into procedure choice. With deep and fine wrinkles, as well as solar damage (sun injury) deep resurfacing is usually a good choice. I do a lot of CO2 laser resurfacing as well as modified phenol peels (Hetter peels) and the results are reliably good.  It is also important to take into account other features of the aging face. If you have droopy brows or eyelids, jowls of the cheek or neck, and/or volume loss in your face, those issues need to be taken into account as well. I suggest that you see a trained ABPS certified Plastic surgeon in order to get a fair and balanced consultation from one who possesses expertise and experience with both surgical and non-surgical facial rejuvenation. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Texture, tone and volume

These three factors will give the best balance for skin rejuvenation. To answer your question directly- yes Deka is an excellent CO2 laser- it gives great coverage and has high power. CO2 laser will help with some skin laxity, wrinkles and certainly address any textural issues. 

Depending on the amount of sun damage and wrinkling, you may require up to 3 sessions. Don't forget volume replacement at this age! Lasers, combined with fillers or fat transfer can give you an excellent non-surgical rejuvenation. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Brisbane, Australia
Laser, Surgical and aesthetic dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist