How many units are typical for eyebrows lift, crows feet and forehead lines?

I went to a doctor today who recommended 64 and I agreed to it but now I think I might have been gullible. Is this number typical for a thorough Botox treatment?

Botox dosage has many reasonable variables

Men need more than women. Thicker skin requires higher doses too. Proper placement and reconstitution volumes are important for spread of effect and of course, adequate dosage is needed. I find it always easier to add than subtract with Botox. In my experience on average, women need 45 units to handle your needs, but that is only a statistical average. Talk to your docotr about your concerns or find a docotr whose message you have more confidence in believing.

New Orleans Dermatologist

How much Botox for my issues?

Thank you for sharing your question. For the problems you describe, it sounds like your doctor is planning on injecting the proper amount of Botox.  If you are uncomfortable with the consultation, make another appointment with an experienced injector. Good luck, 

Hi, I've used Botox, or one of the other neurotoxins, for over 30 years.  The amount of Botox required would depend on how many horizontal lines you had treated across the forehead along with raising the eyebrows and treating the Crow's feet.  64 units doesn't sound outrageous as I would typically use:  

1. Crow's Feet 12 - 15 units
  2. Elevate Brows 12 - 15 units
  3. Glabella  12 - 15 units
  4. Horizontal Forehead lines 12 - 36 units depending on number of lines
Hope this helps.

Botox and Units

It wold be best to post photos of your face to evaluate the number of Botox needed.  This sounds like it could be the correct amount but an in person consultation would be the only way to know for sure.  Men typically need more Botox than women and some patients have stronger muscles than others or deeper wrinkles.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox and Units

It all depends on what look you are looking for.  Browlifting can be 16-24 units; forehead 8-20 units; eyes 8-15 units a side.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Amount of Units

Thank you fro your question. 

it is difficult to say without an assessment, as the amount of units is dependant on the strength of the muscles in each area. It is common for patient to receive that number of units of Botox for those areas. 

All the best.

Amount of Botox needed

It all depends on how deep the lines on your forehead are. I usually use 4 units for each brow lift, 6 for each area of crow's feet and anywhere from 20-40 for the forehead so this is in the realm of what is usual

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Getting the right amount of Botox

The right amount of Botox depends on the patient and the result.

Although the FDA approves 20 units for frown lines between the eyes and 24 units for crow's feet, I start at more conservative numbers. I evaluate for strong muscle groups and the patient's priority areas.

To be honest, I often come close, but I rarely get the Botox dosing perfect at the first treatment. I document exactly how many units and where I injected every time. Following up with my patients in person to see the result at 2 weeks is important. The patient can tell me what they like or don't like about the result, so I can determine what areas need more and what areas need less. I tailor the treatment based on their response to maximize the result. This is a major reason why I do all of the injections at my practice.

A safe and conservative approach is best. For your first injection seek out a well-trained doctor who will do an appropriate analysis and takes the time to review all of the risks and benefits with you.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox amounts...

Thank you for your question.  It is hard to give you a definitive answer without an in person evaluation, however 64 units is not out of the realm of possibilities for most people.  FDA on label for the glabella is 20 units and crows feet 24 units.  Typically we may do a little less in the crows than FDA on label.  Foreheads require a lot less Botox than used to be injected, we rarely inject more than 10 - 12 units in a forehead and an eyebrow lift may require 1-3 units on each side.  Add it all up and you are at 20 glabella, 10 forehead, 20 crows, 4 eyebrow lift which puts you at 54 units so without evaluating your anatomy 64 units is definitely reasonable for all of these areas.  If you are just doing eyebrow lift, crows and forehead and not the glabella you probably will require less Botox - typically on the order of 30-34 units.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

How many units are typical for eyebrow lift, crows feet and forehead lines?

Thank you for your question. An in person assessment is required to provide an accurate answer. That being said, yes 64 units is an appropriate amount of Botox for treatment to those areas. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD