More upper pole fullness? (Photo)

I am 6 1/2 months PO now with my breast life with implants. When I went in for my consultation I expressed to my Dr that I wanted alot of upperpole fullness and projection. I don't feel like I got what I wanted and now am told that I should have got 500cc high profile instead of the 400cc Mod+

Lack of upper pole fullness

Thank you for your question and photo.  You should be seen in person by your operating surgeon to determine if you want to go through with getting larger implants.  Please take into consideration that larger implants will cause your breasts to sag which might require another lift.  Unfortunately, your photo does not clearly show the lack of upper pole fullness.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

How can I prevent my breasts from falling after an uplift?

I now use an internal bra which helps with the falling of the breasts after an uplift. I also recommend to continue to wear a good supportive bra. A larger implant will give you more fullness also.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with implants after lift

Thank you for your question about your breast lift and implants.
  • Your implants look quite large enough for your shape.
  • Upper pole fullness is not always possible, if the body will not hold the breasts high enough.
  • I would consider fat transfers to the upper pole rather than a larger implant which will only make your breasts sag again.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Wants more upper pole fullness!

This a common request, and the "usual" reply by many plastic surgeons is high profile implants. I f you like your size already, and do not wish to go larger, then this is a totally incorrect "solution." Here's why:

High profile implants of the same size as moderate plus or moderate profile implants will always have a smaller diameter (along with more projection). In pockets that are already healed and mature, the interior "bottom" of each pocket is not going to change when implants change profiles, so switching to high profile implants will lead to LESS upper pole fullness (shorter diameter is equivalent to less vertical height)!

This mandates larger implant volumes to even equal the same vertical height and diameter as the smaller low(er) profile implants you already have. You DO get a bit more projection and filling of "loose" skin, but that only translates to more upper pole fullness with a push-up bra (or unwanted--i.e. "hard"--capsular contracture). Plus perhaps breasts that are now too big, and with more weight stretching your breast lift.

I'm pretty sure you do NOT want hard, immobile "Baywatch coconuts," though you may like that "look." That involves a good push-up bra, not necessarily more surgery, and almost certainly NOT HP implants. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Upper pole fulness

Getting upper pole fullness is not as easy or simple as one might think. It doesn't just involve a specific profile, type, or size of implant.  Because implants sit in a soft tissue pocket, that pocket is just as important as the implant used to achieved the desired results. Although a breast lift was performed with your augmentation, it looks like the implants have expanded the lower pole of your breasts, and dropped into these pockets, effectively blunting upper pole fullness.  It is likely that a plan for revision surgery should include a revision lift, as well as capsular closure. Typically, a full anchor scar lift will be necessary to remove enough skin in the right vectors, and the capsular closure will support the implant better.

Once those procedures are performed, any implant including your current implant will have much more upper pole fullness. Many people think that high profile implants give you more upper pole fullness. Once again, because of the aforementioned reasons, this is not necessarily the case, and instead may lead to drop out and loss of upper pole fullness, something that happens to high profile implants, very large implants, and saline implants more than lower profile, silicone gel implants. 

It looks like your surgeon did a nice job, even if you are not entirely happy. You should have a discussion with him about the  possibility of a revision, and if necessary, go on a few second opinion consults. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Upper Pole Fullness #BreastAugmentation

From your photo, it seems it would be possible to get more fullness with a larger implant and possibly some work on the breast capsule. This would need to be confirmed with an examination. All tissues are different and have a limited abilities to hold the additional weight of the implants. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through an in-person consultation.

Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Upper pole

Thank you for your question and photos and preoperative photos and an examination would be helpful so see some experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

More upper fullness

I would remove and replace with a high profile saline implant overfilled. A full mastopexy will be useful at the same time to tighten the lower skin envelope. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS