TT Pain - if anticipated post-op pain is what's stopping a patient from moving forward, what do you tell them?

Pain after a tummy tuck can be significantly reduced by use of a pain pump to continuously give droplets of numbing medicine or some doctors use Experel long-term pain relief injections.  Though I have not used the latter I am sure it is comparable to the pain pump and significantly reduces the discomfort during the healing period to the degree that recovery becomes quite easily managed.  I have never had a patient regret undergoing the procedure due to the pain of recovery.  It is of course your final decision to be made. Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

No pain, no gain? Not with tummy tuck surgery!

There have been many advancements in tummy tuck surgery that have helped to alleviate several common patient concerns, and postoperative pain is one of them! Patients can feel more at ease knowing that implementing the latest surgical techniques for tummy tuck surgery allows for a more comfortable recovery. With the use of a pain catheter, postoperative pain is minimal. The pain catheter, which is placed during surgery, administers a regularly intervaled, safe dose directly to the abdominal area. With the use of this device, many patients do not even feel the need for supplemental oral pain medication. After educating patients about the use of a pain catheter, postoperative pain should not have an impact on a patient moving forward.

Jerome H. Liu, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Post-op Tummy Tuck Pain

Thank you very much for your question. Today’s abdominoplasty procedures can provide safe and satisfying results. While you should expect moderate discomfort for several days after your tummy tuck, post-op pain can be well-controlled using prescription and over the counter medications. For most patients, a few days of tenderness are well worth it for their life-changing results. My recommendation is that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who can explain his/her strategies for managing pain after a tummy tuck.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

I would tell you that the pain is temporary.  If you want to do the surgery and are healthy, move forward.

What can be done with TT pain?

There are several things that I do to minimize the pain after a TT like use a long acting anesthetic, pain pump but there usually is pain associated with it but in my patients, most are able to even begin driving a car within the first week.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck pain

Hi and thanks for your inquiry. Trust me after tummy tuck pain is well tolerated with conventional pain killers, must patients refer "tummy sore" like after doing a lot of abs. I recommend my patients to keep a semi flex position for a week to avoid tension on the scar and most of the times the back hurts but is temporal.

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

TT and post op pain

Thank you for your question.  I have to say that typically tummy tuck is not a very painful surgery.  I use long acting numbing medication at the end of surgery which helps, and have the patient in a snug abdominal binder which can provide support and a sense of extra security to the abdomen region.  In my almost 20 years of practice I have never needed to use a pain pump.  Most patients take narcotics for 3-4 days maximum and then switch to Tylenol.  I would not let the fear of pain stop you.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Surgical Pain after Abdominoplasty

I have found that the use of a long acting local anesthetic injected into your muscles prior to the conclusion of the surgery makes the pain level on par with abdominal liposuction. This is especially true since the elimination of drains after surgery. The appearance and burden of drains after surgery has a negative psychological effect on the patient, and I believe made them feel more debilitated and in pain. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that perform a comprehensive abdominoplasty without drains. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Pain after surgery

Post-operative pain can be a daunting factor in anyone's decision to proceed with surgery. In most cases, there are multiple layers in place to minimize discomfort after surgery. It is expected that the patient will recover comfortably before they are discharged and be given pain medications to take at home after the surgery. Some patients may request to have a special pain pump or injection of long-acting local anesthetic which will significantly reduce or block pain. There will usually also be a snug garment or abdominal binder placed which helps support your abdomen to minimize any movement and provide a sense of security and protection to the patient. Finally, it is important that the patient has assistance at home so they do not over exert themselves when recovering. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Pain post TT

Thank you for reaching out. I think this is an area of concern or fear for almost all TT patients! Pain can be well managed with a pain pump and post op pain medication. Just know that you are not alone and that most patients question the amount of pain after this procedure. Your surgeon will do his or her best to help make you as comfortable as possible post op. If you have any other questions, please feel free to message me or we would be more than happy to see you in our Mission Viejo or Newport Beach office to go over questions and options. Best of luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD