Severe diastasis recti. Need assistance from PS to back up claims that it's medically necessary to have a tummy tuck (Photo)

5'8 172 lbs w 2 kids. I had a diastasis after my first and after my second it has gotten worse. Compression garments no longer hold me in due to the laxity of my muscles. There's no fat on 8cm of my abdomen. I suffer from back pain, pain & discomfort within my abdomen, & have difficulty lifting, standing, or sitting for long periods of time. I've seen a surgeon and 2 PS. Had a neg. CT scan that only found the separation, no hernia . Looking for mutiple opinions & recommendations.

Severe diastasis recti. Need assistance from PS to back up claims that it's medically necessary to have a tummy tuck

this is not uncommon post pregnancy. From you photos you seem to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck procedure. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Diastasis Recti

Although you are experiencing significant symptoms, we can only ethically bill for the repair of the rectus muscle and the probable hernia that exists in the umbilicus.  The remaining portion of the procedure you are desiring would be skin excision, which is cosmetic and not billable. The proper way of going about this financially is to bill your insurance for the repair of diastasis and hernia and also charge you some cosmetic fee, which would be less than the usual fee because the muscle portion would already be covered by insurance. 

Please visit only ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in body contouring surgery. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photos. I would agree that you have a significant diastasis.  It is difficult to get insurance to cover the diastasis repair, but if you have a true umbilical hernia that was documented, then that could possibly be submitted to insurance for coverage.  The rest of the abdominoplasty procedure is considered cosmetic and not covered by insurance.  Best advice would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to get a fair assessment of what might be covered by insurance and what would not.  Best of luck!

Rectus diastasis

You certainly appear to have a rectus diastasis which is very wide.  If anyone qualified for this to be done under insurance it would be you.  Unfortunately, most insurance companies do not cover this even when it is extreme as in your case.  Hopefully working with a plastic surgeon, you can get authorization for coverage.  Good luck.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy Tuck/Diastasis/Hernia Repair

Thank you for the question and photos. I recommend that you book an in-person consultation and exam with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. They will evaluate separation and any hernia you may have. Insurance will often cover a portion of Abdominoplasty as it relates to hernia repair, but not the cosmetic aspects. I recommend that you discuss expectations in person with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Wanting medical insurance to pay for tummy tuck?

Your insurance company would only assist on your surgery if you had a hernia. This can be documented with an in-office bedside ultrasound. If you should have this deformity, then your insurnace would assist with repair of your hernia and the steps taken to get to the hernia. This would include an indirect approach to your hernia repair, which would decrease the time required to complete your tummy tuck; You still have to pay for the cosmetic portion of your surgery.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Diastasis repair with tummy tuck not usually covered by insurance

Your insurance might kick in if there is a true hernia but unfortunately even a very wide diastasis is usually considered part of a cosmetic tummy tuck. I might consider using mesh reinforcement given the wide separation and associated tissue weakness.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck / Mini Tummy Tuck /Abdominoplasty/ Liposuction/ Reverse Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle plication.  Bringing the rectus muscles together in the midline and removing the extra abdominal skin will markedly rejuvenate your abdomen. You are a very good candidate and you should expect a great result. Regarding insurance, it is unlikely they will cover it as this is deemed a cosmetic procedure.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic  surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Tummy tuck

You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck and diastasis repair. In my experience, the diastasis has been deemed cosmetic and not covered by insurance. They consider it cosmetic. Look for a board certified plastic surgeon

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Diastasis recti

You are a good candidate, based on pics, for a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) with plication of your muscle.  However, the chance that this would be covered by insurance, regardless of muscle separation, is essentially zero.  Diastasis happens quite often from child birth and the plication done during surgery serves to tighten and repair the muscle.  You should likely discuss with a board certified plastic surgeon

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon