Is seri silk safe?

Does seri silk have any side effects ? Does it ever have to be replaced. My doctor recommended seri silk and I would like other doctors opinion if there are any side effects.

Seri is safe.

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, Seri is safe. You should go read about it on the Seri web site.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

I would not recommend it.

Seri was instructed to stop promoting use for breast applications, as it was not approved for that use by the FDA. Many surgeons have not had good luck with it's use in breast applications. I used it in a number of cases and initially thought it was promising, since it is cheaper than biologic dermis (Alloderm, Flex HD), but I had a range of problems in more than half of the patients and no longer use it. Google the FDA website for more details.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Seri Silk uses

Seri silk is mainly indicated as an internal support when there are cases of implant malposition or bottoming out.  Its a special treated hypoallergenic silk mesh that becomes slowly incorporated into the internal breast tissue.  This helps to form better support like an internal bra that prevents implants from displacing or bottoming out.  The silk is slowly absorbed over 18 months by the body.  The product is safe.  The only down side is the cost.  One piece is as much as two breast implants put together.  However if simple suture repair of the breast pocket fails and you need to redo the breast again the cost would be more than the Seri silk cost. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and Seri is safe when used appropriately but I need a clinical history to say if it is recommended for you

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD