Is a second rhinoplasty worth the risk to refine tip of nose? (Photo)

I had a rhinoplasty two years ago to fix the dorsal hump and tip. I still feel like the tip is bulbous and droopy, especially when I smile? I am seeking professional advice about the risk of getting a revision surgey for the tip?

Secondary rhinoplasty

Hi there.  Thanks for the question.

Your nose looks good to me. It does not look bulbous from the photos you have supplied. Also when you smile does the tip droop or does the upper lip merely ride up to give the appearance of the nasal tip drooping?

You need to tread carefully here.  Get expert advice face to face.

Geelong Plastic Surgeon

Depends on how much you want to change your current nose.

In a revision operation, the more that you want to change the nose, the more likely you'll be happy with the result, as long as the surgeon is a true expert in revision rhinoplasty. See the Web reference link for a modification to one of your images.

Elevating the tip and narrowing the tip and lowering the height of the bridge of the nose are three of the most common changes to make successfully in a revision operation.

p.s. I know you posted ages ago, but I just found your question and was interested enough to answer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risk of secondary rhinoplasty

When you ask about risk you have to look at what do you have to gain.
In your case, I see little to gain with some risk for an adverse outcome.
I would not recommend surgery.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

Revision rhinoplasty is a more complex procedure but good result can be achieved. The risks of this operation are very similar to the primary surgery but also depends on the type of deformity. Bulbous tips usually need special attention and technique to have a long lasting shape.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO

Revision rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and drooping tip

As long as it's been 2 years since the primary rhinoplasty, it is possible to undergo a revision to address the tip issues. The bulbous tip can be reduced with either conservative cartilage removal or suture techniques applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. To prevent the tip from drooping when smiling, releasing of the depressor septi ligament is required. Revision rhinoplasty is one of the hardest operations to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so choose your surgeon based on extensive experience. For more information and many examples, please see the link below

Risk of tip revision

More photos would definitely be helpful.  Your profile looks really great.  From the frontal view you can see the tip pulling down slightly but still looking very pretty.   Narrowing further is a possibility but you would have to make sure to strut the lower lateral cartilages to avoid collapse with breathing.  Really would need more photos to advise accurately.  Overall you have a very nice nose however 

Ben Talei, MD