Is it normal for one breast be much more swollen than the other after augmentation? (Photos)

I am 1 week post op so I understand that my breasts still have to settle but I feel that one is much larger than the other. I had asymmmetry before surgery so my PS had to use two different sizes to even them out. 450/425cc. Is it normal that my right breast is so much larger or is it possible that the wrong implant was placed in the wrong side?

Early post op asymmetry

very early on like you are, it is very common to have slight asymmetries that will settle out with time. You can certainly ask to look at your surgical record and make sure the correct size implant was placed on the correct side, but in general 25cc will yield an almost imperceptible difference. 

Often times, if you are right handed, and the implants were placed under the muscles, with the right pectoralis being more developed, it will swell more and the right breast looking larger. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal for one breast be much more swollen than the other after augmentation?

Yes. If the larger implant was placed into the right breast (left in photo) then the size discrepancy that UC should be expected.  As the implants drop into position and the swelling of surgery decreases of expect to to be much closer and symmetry.  Ask your surgeon when you may start breast implant displacement exercises.

Uneven breast

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. Patience is one of the most important factors in achieving the best results in cosmetic surgery. We all want to see the final result as early as possible. Unfortunately, the healing process is complicated and takes time. The surest way to get a poor result is to undergo revision surgery before your body is ready for additional surgery.

Breast augmentations take about six months for the swelling to go down and the breasts to settle and assume their final size and shape. When we do a breast enlargement, surgeons try to center the implant behind the nipple. Minor position adjustments can be accomplished to account for the normal asymmetry that most women have. If the breasts are different sizes, saline implants can be adjusted to achieve better symmetry.
A set of preoperative photos would help in assessing your degree of asymmetry in breast size and nipple position.

Please wait until six months post op and then return to your original surgeon. Minor asymmetry is normal. Too vigorous surgical approaches may result in more expense, more scarring, and new complications.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

You have excellent early results

and its normal to have subtle differences as you have.  You only have to worry if one side expands acutely with an increase in your pains.  You look great!

Curtis Wong, MD

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

There is nothing in the photos that is especially concerning, although an examination by your surgeon is the best idea. There are many factors that can result in some asymmetry, and the appearance you're showing may not reflect any problems. An exam by your surgeon will help you to determine whether your recovery is normal, or whether anything needs to be done.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Not Enough Information Given

We don't have your preoperative photos, we don't know which implant was put into which breast, the photos you offer don't indicate right/left, and are selfies, which can make perfectly symmetrical breasts look lopsided. Please visit your surgeon and discuss. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Is it normal for one breast be much more swollen than the other after augmentation

Post-operative swelling will be greater the greater the dissection of the issue is required. A larger implant will need a bigger pocket, therefore more swelling. At this point I think it is too early to be worried. What I see in your photos appears very normal as swelling is always uneven, even in case when the same implant is used.

Julio Garcia, MD

See Your Surgeon

Thank you for posting pictures, please be sure to see your surgeon, it seems you may have fluid buildup. Whether this is serum or blood, it needs to be drained and closely monitored by your surgeon. Best of Luck. Dr. K

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

I'm afraid this is a question for your surgeon. But having asymmetry after surgery is just as normal as having it before even though we try and even the sides out as much as possible. It is especially common to have differential swelling. But for your question, you need to see your surgeon. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD