I have had 4 c-sections and am inquiring about Liposuction

I have had 4 c-sections and I am about 99% numbing my lower abdomen but have continuous shooting pains in the same area. I also get rashes right where my scar is. Would that qualify under med iCal ins

Liposuction Not Covered; Scar Removal May Be

If the scarred skin is causing a medical problem, scar revision therapy with lasers or surgery may be covered by insurance. Liposuction is not. You may do better with a tummy tuck. Best, Dr. Emer.

Thank you for your question. A scar revision may be covered by insurance, but liposuction would not be covered.After four pregnancies, you would likely be a better candidate for a tummy tuck. Liposuction is a great procedure for patients whose skin has not been stretched out, however after pregnancy most patients do better with a tummy tuck to remove excess skin. A tummy tuck also typically removes the old old C-section scar.Make sure to see board-certified plastic surgeons.

Thank you for the question and while a scar revision might be covered liposuction would not and if you have had 4 C-sections you would probably benefit from an abdominoplasty
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

If you are having trouble as a result of the scar and need a scar revision, that may or may not have insurance coverage. Liposuction is never covered by insurance. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

4 C-sections, rashes under scar

In all likelihood, insurance would not cover a procedure for you. After four C-sections, the quality of your skin is not very good and you would need some type of skin tightening procedure. What this would be (full abdominoplasty vs mini with liposuction) can only be told thru a formal consult with a plastic surgeon of your choice. Lower abdominal incisions do leave numbness on the lower abdomen. The same thing happens with a tummy tuck. Good luck.

Karen Quigley, MD

Liposuction after C sections

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • I am sorry but no insurance covers cosmetic operations.
  • Med Cal is a program to provide essential medical care.
  • Liposuction is purely cosmetic. It will not correct numbness, pain or rashes.
  • I suggest you consult your regular doctor for referral to a plastic surgeon on the MedCal panel to see if another operation might help, for instance panniculectomy if you have a large apron of loose, hanging skin causing the rashes.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS