Is there no hope for my belly button? Post tummy tuck and umbilical hernia (Photos)

I am 4 weeks post & my BB is not healed, drinking 100g protein/day, multivitamins, vit C, 6 weeks off,wearing garment 24/7. Today started to hurt so bad (dr said to leave gauze inside BB for 1 week at a time that my blood will help heal it)I'm on antibiotics.He said to leave my gauze & garment off and wound uncovered until it heals.I'm wondering what other options I have for wound healing,I have not applied anything to my wounds, surgery done in the USA by a board certified plastic surgeon

Skin reacting to something

and something is wrong with your belly button as you've already determined.  You should ask your surgeon just what is wrong and what options you have to manage it.  If you're using Neosporin ointment, your ointment could be causing the redness so I would suggest to my patients facing the same problem that they go to Vaseline or Aqua-Phor or even Bag Balm.  You need to heal and then you can better determine what, if anything, can be done for improving your belly button appearances.

Possible belly button infection

This is definitely something that needs to get assessed in person by your surgeon. The fact that it's still red at 4 weeks post op is troubling. Continue to follow your surgeon's advise but also make an appointment to have it seen by him again in person.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and photos. It is difficult to answer your question without an exam. It is concerning to me that it appears swollen and pink or red 4 weeks post op. There may be an infection and it best to have an exam performed by your board certified plastic surgeon. You may need antibiotics and local wound care. Good luck.

Umbilical loss after abdominoplasty.

Loss of the integrity of the belly button is quite unsettling post operatively. But after the wound stabilizes, a new belly button can be created in the office, using local anesthesia. It is essentially painless. The patient MUST refrain for exposure to nicotine, in any forms. 

Belly button

Thank you for the question and photos and though an examination is needed, ask your surgeon about putting an antibiotic cream like silvadene on the wound

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

BB not healing

Why is your BB so pink, is that just a discoloration from the dressings? Not sure what is really going on with your belly button, but leaving the gauze in for one week at a time.

Arian Mowlavi, MD