I'm a healthy weight man and had a lipo done on my sides. What complication this? (photo)

I have a semi-clear (in between opaque & clear) skin blister on lower abdominal. Had lipo on 7/15/16. It's the same spot and where an incision or lipo puncture was done. Please tell me this isn't my intestinal wall or hernia? Unsure of L.A. County doctor's age but appears age 45-55, who has Harvard medical training & a lot of lipo surgeries + American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified. Emailed doctor photos hours ago & hasn't replied, getting really worried it's a serious complication?

Doctor Answers 3

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Skin Blister -- Seek an Expert

This is not a hernia/protrusion of bowel, but you should report this to your physician and be seen for an in person evaluation. Looks like a blister that can be from energy based device, infection or irritation.  It needs a formal evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Complication after liposuction

it appears you may have an infection.

Regardless you need to see your plastic surgeon ASAP.

I would highly recommend you be seen in person. Please call your plastic surgeons office and asked to speak with him as soon as possible.

If he is not available then he should have someone covering for him.

If you cannot get a hold of the doctor at all then you may need to go to an emergency room.

If you end up going to an emergency department then you may want to confirm they have a plastic surgeon on call before you go there. The best thing to do is to get a hold of your plastic surgeon as soon as possible and be seen in person.

Best of luck,

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Liposuction - now has blister

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Based only on the photo, you appear to either have a skin blister or to have a seroma (fluid collection) that has begun to drain from an incision.
  • It is unlikely to be a serious complication but you should see your surgeon.
  • This is not intestine or abdominal wall protruding through your skin.
  • I suggest you call your surgeon's office to schedule an appointment.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.