Would I be a good candidate for ThermiVa if I have a uterine mini sling? Is the mesh able to withstand the RF?

I had a mini sling procedure 5 years ago for very mild SUI (only while jumping rope or jumping jacks, never coughing or sneezing). I've never had any issues w/the mini sling. Also, I just had a normal pap & pelvic exam. Zero issues to report.

Yes you can safely have the ThermiVa treatment without damage to the sling.  Since your recent exam is problem free it seems you are ready to schedule your first Thermiva treatment.  Remember to shave the area a day or two prior to the procedure.

ThermiVa after a sling?

Thank you for your question.  ThermiVa can definitely be used safely and effectively after a sling or vaginal mesh procedure.  The temperatures reached during a ThermiVa treatment are not hot enough to damage the mesh material and will produce results.  I assume that the urinary leaking problem is much better after the sling, but even in cases of "sling failures" (i.e., continued incontinence after a sling) ThermiVa has resulted in fewer leaking events.  In addition, it will still improve other symptoms such as dryness, sexual dysfunction, and vaginal laxity.

ThermiVa Candidate

ThermiVa can be safely used with a uterine sling in place. I suggest consulting with an expert and disucssing your concerns prior to any treatment. Best, Dr. Emer

ThermiVA for stress urinary incontinence

Amazingly, there have been ZERO reported complications associated with ThermiVA treatment for vaginal dryness, stress urinary incontinence, vaginal tightening, and for labia majora - labia minora tightening.

There is no data to suggest that ThermiVA will in any way adversely affect your sling or the results of your previous procedure for SUI, but there IS data to suggest that ThermiVA may improve your situation.

Steve Laverson, MD

What are you trying to fix?

Nonsurgical vaginal treatments are done for various reasons. Your expectations will determine whether you would be a candidate for any of these. The temperatures used in ThermiVa are no warmer than those achieved in a sauna and should have zero effect on slings and meshes.

ThermiVA after bladder sling

ThermiVA in patients with various types of slings has been studied and found to be safe. ThermiVA energy penetrates about Emma, slings if in the region should be deeper than this minimum 6mm, but even if not it would take much higher temp to disrupt the sling polypropylene material (well over 100 degrees celcius) and ThermiVA temp is set at max 47 degrees celcius. It is an excellent treatment to with great results. Best,
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

ThermiVa Post Sling

Yes you can safely use ThermiVa post sling.   The good news is that the ThermiVa will reinforce the area thereby improving the integrity of the tissue and further help you.

Thermi Va after a sling

Yes, Thermi Va is safe after this and other gynecologic procedures.  It is recommended that you see your OB/GYN at least within 2yrs of receiving the treatment or if anything has changed since then.

H. Christopher Coley, MD
Greensboro General Surgeon