How soon after a breast augmentation can I get another surgery to reduce the size? (Photo)

I am 6 days post op on my BA and think my size is WAY too big. I have read that they might be swollen still and size might go down, but even at a hair smaller I'll be unhappy. I will certainly let them sit for a year before I make any decisions, but I'd like to know when it is recommended to get another surgery if I'd like to go smaller. I'm soooo unhappy with this size right now. I was a 34AA and wanted to feel like I had small chest still and it is way too full for me.

Breast Size Changes

Thank you for your question.  Although you should probably see your results in about 3 to 6 months I think it is best for you to wait a full year before making any type of decision regarding changing your size.  Live with them and see how you feel after a year.  Then you will be able to make the best decision possible for yourself.  You may find that they are not too big.  If you still think that they are too big, then by all means go ahead with the revision. 

Dr. Peter Newen

Post augmentation revisions

Choosing a size is usually one of the hardest parts for patients at their pre op appointments. We use external sizers and 3D imaging with Vectra to give you the closest idea to what your result will look like. You are still very early in the healing process and should definitely expect significant changes in your appearance to occur. I would say at least 3 months before returning to OR to go with a smaller implant but until then have faith that you and your surgeon chose well. Good luck!

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Size Change

Certainly a year will be more than sufficient time to decide if this size is too big. Usually, people are anxious to have them revised ASAP.  In that case, three months is sufficient.

In terms of what size implant should you change to, it would be based off of your current volume, and how much change in appearance you want.  A small but perceptible change (around half a cup size) is a 20% reduction. Moderate change (about a cup size) is 30%-40% reduction, and a large change is 50% or more.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question and the photo. It is normal to have swelling after a breast augmentation.  I would recommend to wait at least 3 to 6 months prior to any change in implant size. It is good that you're waiting for one year then you'll know exactly how you feel about your breast at that time and make the appropriate decision that is good for you. I would also recommend for you to discuss with your board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Size change

Be patient your are early on in the healing process and some swelling reduction and stretching of tissues will lead to a "softer look" of your chest. It is wise to wait at least 6 months to allow the capsule to mature before going back to change sizes. Good luck

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Size Change

Since it can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your new breasts to fully heal and settle into their new shape, I thinking waiting a year before making any changes is a very sound decision. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Size

You are very early in your healing stage and do have swelling. Please give yourself time to heal and let the swelling subside. Remember, the size chosen what was chosen by you and your surgeon. Please discuss any concerns you have with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

How soon after a breast augmentation can I get another

In general, most surgeons advocate waiting at least six months and one year is better prior to exchanging implants for a different size. At one week postoperatively it is way too early to tell what one's final size will be. The amount of swelling can be variable.  it is also not unusual for the swelling to be in the upper part of the breast which makes them seem even larger. It would be very wise to wait and let things settle down before considering changing as an option.

Too big!

Thank you for your question.  This is a conversation I have with all my patients prior to surgery.  Immediately after surgery, you are going to be swollen and must allow the appropriate amount of time for swelling to subside.  I understand that it is hard to be so patient when you are unhappy with the size of your breasts, but more often than not, patients are pleased with their final result several months after surgery.  I recommend staying in close contact with your surgeon and giving yourself plenty of time to heal.  Best of luck!  

Carmen Kavali, MD

Timing of revisional surgery after breast augmentation.

Most women think there too big and the short aftermath of breast augmentation. By six months they change their opinion and think the sizes just right. By one year about 90% of patients wish they'd gone a bit bigger. Remain patient. Revisional surgery should not be undertaken for at least six months