I'm a 29 year old female, 135 lbs, looking to go from a B cup to a natural D cup

I went to a consult and said I wanted natural looking boobs I'm 135 lbs 5'4" he recommended me to get 450 cc in one breast and 475 cc in the other because he said one was larger then he continued to say I should get high profile for more projection if I'm looking for larger natural looking breast. I honestly think that's too big. I really want the big kim K look. Tear drop, natural looking breast. He told me to get silicone over saline and the tear drop look will fall I to place any suggestions?

Implant sizing

Patients seeking advice regarding implant sizes online will find only general advice that may or may not be applicable to their case. My recommendations would be to focus on choosing your surgeon carefully. Find a surgeon with results similar to your goals. Online reviews can be helpful if you don’t have anyone close to recommend a surgeon. These days anyone with a medical license can perform cosmetic surgery so finding a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery confirms they had appropriate training and experience.

I prefer to use a sizing system to help decide volume (cc) and then using patient’s measurements decide the final implant. High profile implants often are used with larger implants as long as the breast width isn’t too wide. Using a wider implant than the breast width is often avoided but can sometimes give the patient the look and breast shape they are going for. There are 3D imaging options such as Crisalix or Vectra which can also be helpful. The most important aspect is an open discussion between you and your surgeon. General terms such as “natural look” or “not too big” can mean completely different things to any given patient so often photos of what you like or are hoping for can be very helpful.

While 475cc may get you to a D from a B cup bra this may actually be more unnatural than you are wishing for. Typically high profile implants look more on the fake side. A moderate + implant tends to look more natural but this depends on your chest wall and breast width. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Best of luck!

Josh Olson MD

Cup Sizes and Implant Volume

There is no reliable formula that will help you find that specific bra cup size you're looking for. Reasons including variability in bra sizing, personal assessment of how a bra fits makes, and how any given implant will impart shape and volume on each breast make this a loathsome task.  

However, the good news is that what's really important is not your bra cup size, but how you look in a mirror. Perhaps the best way to determine volume requirements is to use sizers in a bra with your shirt on.  This should be done in the surgeon's office so that he can determine the necessary implant. 

As for getting a 'natural' result, that is up to the eye of the beholder.  However, in general bigger implants and high profile implants do not give what most people consider a natural result. Review clinical photos in office as well to find results that you'd like to have. Additionally, he should show you results from women that had similarly shaped breasts as yours to get an idea of a realistic result. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

450 is probably a little large

You should seek another opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon to ensure your comfort with the recommendations before having a procedure. There are numerous factors that contribute to obtaining a natural look vs a "done" look, including the quality of the breast skin envelope and body frame. Generally silicone allows a better more natural feel and look.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Wanting B cup to D cup

Thanks for your question.  It is not possible to provide meaningful advice about implant selection without an assessment, because implants of a certain volume will have a very different impact on the appearance of the breasts depending on a person's body type.  Implants in the 450cc range can appear very large in a petite, small-chested women, or they might only make a moderate difference in the appearance of a very tall, full-figured person.

Breast Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. It is not possible to give you specific recommendations on implant size/profile without a proper exam. During an exam several factors need to be considered including your current breast dimensions, skin quality, and nipple position.

I would recommend that you have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area. You will see each surgeon has different opinions. Your goal will be to choose the surgeon with the plan that makes the most sense to you and the one you feel most comfortable with.

Best Regards,
Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD

Natural Breast Augmentation with Implants.

High profile implants aren't usually associated with a "natural" look. I'd lean more toward a moderate to moderate plus profile and stay closer to the 400 mark. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Picking the right implants

Hi and thanks for the question. Without photos it's difficult to give you any meaningful advice. If you don't like the advice you received at your first consult then I think you should consider seeing at least one more plastic surgeon. To get the best idea of what you will look like with different size implants find a practice like ours that uses the Vectra 3D imaging system. We take a 3D photo of you, then the computer shows you what you would look like with any size and style implant you want to see. Our patients love it - it gives them the confidence to pick the implants that are best for them. Good luck.

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

It is always difficult giving advice on sizing without seeing and examining the patient.  In my practice we focus on the look and not so much on the cc or cup size.  The breast measurements are very important as are the implant measurements.

We do use the Mentor Sizing System which works great in providing the patient the most accurate way of how things will look after surgery. 

Silicone implants are the way to go and there are several different options when it does come to silicone implants.  Again your best option is to consult with board certified plastic surgeons in your area, look at the results of the surgeons your meet with and go with the surgeon that is the best match for you.  Then you allow your surgeon to determine what implant so use to get the result you are looking for.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast implant size and type

I appreciate your question.
The best way to determine the size is to measure your chest and see what fits. After that we can choose a profile ptr type based on your goals.
I would recommend the anatomic, cohesive gel impacts for a natural look.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

B cup to D cup

Breast aesthetics is very individual and subjective. It is important that you define the size and shape YOU want. Most women come into my office knowing they want to be bigger but they haven't thought beyond that. You need to think of several things: size, cleavage, "side boob", a rounder or smoother appearance on the top portion of your breasts, and nipple position. All of these aspects of your breasts can be changed with a particular implant but your natural breast size/shape also dictates what can be achieved as well. It is difficult to clearly describe your goals verbally so it is best to then communicate your goals to your surgeon with front view, topless photos showing all the features you like and desire. The idea is to find a photo of a pair of breasts that you would love to have on your chest. Pictures allow your surgeon to precisely know what you are thinking and what you like. Then, a discussion ensues about wether the result is achievable given the natural breasts you are starting with and if so, measurements are done and implant sizers are used to pick the optimal implant both in terms of size, shape and profile. I tell my patients to not micro-manage the process too much. The most important thing for you to do is figure out exactly what result you are looking for and then trust your surgeon to pick the appropriate implants to achieve your goals. I hope this information helps!
Thomas Taylor, MD, FACS
Pasadena, CA