How Long After a Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair Until I Can Go Back to Weight Lifting in the Gym?

I have been weight lifting in the gym for about 9 months. I love it and wonder when I can return to lifting. I had a hernia repair, diastasis recti and a tummy tuck.

Weight lifting

I would avoid weight lifting and training for at least 4-6 months and I would refrain from heavy lifting even longer

Weight lifting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Weight Lifting after Tummy Tuck

Hi Kymme,

Always follow the post-op instructions of your PS to ensure the best result. I think it would be best to avoid weight lifting for at least 6 weeks post-op to protect your hernia and diastasis repair. Heavy lifting with significant straining should probably be delayed for at total of 12 weeks post-op. Be careful and take care your investment.

Best of Luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Weight Lifting after Tummy Tuck

Hi Kymme,

Best of Luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

How Long After a Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair Until I Can Go Back to Weight Lifting i

This question should be addressed to your surgeon, who knows what was done and has followed you through the healing process. I generally permit return to full activities at six weeks. At that time the wound healing process has reaching 90% of the strength it will attain ("bursting strength"). When you start, pick up gradually. Best wishes. 

Hello

Running or exercising 2 weeks post-surgery is not recommended at all. You can open your incision, your skin and body is not normal. At 6 weeks is when you are able to return back to normal activities.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Hello