How Long After Getting Breast Implants Will Tightness Go Away?

I had my breast augmentation on March 23rd, 2012 and its been 5 days Post-op today and I was wondering how long it takes the tightness on my chest to go away?

Time is the Best Medicine

About 6-12 weeks is the typical time it takes for implants to stretch and settle within the pocket created by the surgeon and your anatomy.  It can take longer if they are larger implants and if there has been no previous stretch from pregnancies or weight changes. 

Plainfield Plastic Surgeon

Breast tightness will resolve over weeks to months

I always instruct my patients that in the early stages following breast augmentation, their breast implants can be expected to appear high, tight, and somewhat unnatural.  This is NORMAL.  Your tissues are now stretched out to accommodate additional volume (breast implants).  Tissues also swell and retain fluid following surgery.  Over the course of weeks to months, your tissues will become less swollen, and will soften and stretch to accommodate the volume of your implants.  This allows the implants to settle into a more natural position, and look and move more naturally.  You will see significant changes in the first 3-4 weeks, and your tissues will continue to soften visibly in the first 2-3 months.  Make sure to follow all of your Plastic Surgeon's instructions regarding bra wear, implant massage, and activity restrictions.

Dr. Skourtis

Mia E. Skourtis, MD

Tightness after breast augmentation

Thank you for the question. You are still early in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to feel pain, itchiness, tightness, and swelling during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment for your concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

About three to four months

Tightness is common after breast augmentation. It will take about three to four months for your body to adjust to the implants, and natural tissue expansion will gradually occur so that your breasts settle into a more natural contour.  

Tightness after Breast Implants

Thank you for your question.  I always tell my patients at the time of their consultation appointment that initially their implants will look 'high, hard and ugly.'  Furthermore, I tell all of my patients pre-operatively that tightness of the chest is normal following a breast augmentation because your skin, muscle, and tissues must all stretch to accommodate the implant and additional volume.  Seeing as how you are only several days out from your procedure, this tightness is to be expected.  Over the course of the next 4-12 weeks this tightness will resolve as your tissues become less swollen and your implants have settled.  I would recommend following up with your operating Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your discomfort and see whether or not he/she recommends the use of a compression bra or the implementation of breast massages as this may help.  I hope you find this helpful and best of luck on your recovery!

Post Op Breast Tightness

In the early stages following breast augmentation, it is normal for implants to appear tight and high. I have patients start a massaging routine after two weeks to allow the implants to settle into a more natural position. You will see substantial changes in the first 3-4 weeks, and your breast will continue to soften in the first 2-3 months.  Make sure to follow all of your plastic surgeon's instructions concerning any restrictions and  massage.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Breast tightness after surgery.

Thank you for your question. Congrats on the surgery. It may take months for the breasts to soften, and they may never soften to the pre-surgical state. In addition, the greater the implant to breast tissue ratio, the more the implant will affect the longterm firmness (or softness) of the breast. I would exercise patience and see how things change with every few weeks that pass by.

Tightness Post Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, tightness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
If you have any concerns regarding your recovery, please follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Give it time to stretch

As others have said, it will take time. Most everyone will experience tightness in the beginning. The less breast tissue that you have to start, the tighter it will be and longer it takes to settle and stretch. A larger implant placed will also require a longer time for things to settle. If they are below the muscle, this anatomy needs to give as well. Regardless of all these factors, be reassured, it will always get better with time.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Chest wall tightness with implants

I assume you mean skin tightness.  If this is the case, then you will have to expect tit may take several weeks to months for the tissues to become soft from the procedure.