How Long After Breast Augmentation and Lift Should I Wear Compression Bras?

Avoid Compression Bra More than One or Two Days After Surgery

I do place a support bra immediately after Breast Augmentation with Implants.

However I remove the bra during the first one or two days after surgery and have my patients go bra less.

My concern is that the the bra will restrict the motion of the breast implants.

Locking the Breast Implants into one position too long risks the formation of a small restricted implant capsule which can lead to capsular contracture. I believe in starting breast implant displacement exercises soon after surgery.

Compression Bra After Surgery

It is a good idea to follow your surgeon's advice regarding wearing your compression bra after your breast augmentation surgery. I usually recommend my patients wear a compression bra or other good supportive bra for two months day and night after their surgery.

What type of bra to wear after surgery

Any comfortable sports bra will do after breast augmentation, as long as it does not have any underwire (which could injure your skin) .  The bra's job is to make you comfortable.  It should not be tight or constricting.  An ace wrap is actually best for the first night, which gives you gentle comression and feels the best.  Gentle compression bras can help reduce some of the initial swelling for the first week or so.  Breast implants hold their initial position just fine without external help from a "push-up" or tight compression bra.  Of course any bra is useful in general to keep your breasts perky over time, just like anybody.

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Compression bras after augmentation

I do not use any type of compression bra after breast augmentation.  In most cases I do not want to push the breasts in any specific position.

Bras after Breast Augmentation and Lift

Sports bras may be OK for the first 6 weeks or so.  I do not recommend underwire bras.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Compression Bra

I am not exactly sure what you mean by a compression bra unless you mean a "sports bra". For my patients we place them in a surgical bra for one week to be worn 24 hours a day unless showering. After this week , they may go braless at night. We discourage buying new bras (Victoria Secret) until about a month. The breast will shape over time and a bra you buy too early may not fit the same down the road. As I am sure you know, a worn bra is not returnable. I would consult with your surgeon. We all have different recommendations.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

This question is more appropriately asked of your surgeon, who knows what was done, who has followed your recovery, and who knows what type of bra you are wearing. 

Photos might help give a more specific answer on line. Thanks, all the best.