How Long After my Augmentation Before I Can Drive a Car (Local Errands, Not a Long Trip)?

I had BA three days ago, and feel fortunate -- I have not needed any painkillers of any kind, and feel great. Quite perky and still swollen, but virtually pain free. I will follow doctors advice and refrain from exercise for three weeks (which will be hard!!), but since I feel so good, and have full range of motion in my arms without any pain, when can I drive my car for short errands? Many thanks.

Driving after a breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Recovery from a breast augmentation is not the long, drawn-out recovery that it used to be and I find that while pain and discomfort are highly subjective, that many patients are anxious to get back into their normal daily activities within a couple of days.  As far as driving is concerned, as long as patients are not taking any pain medication and are feeling well, local drives for the purposes of running errands, picking up the kids and getting to and from should be fine once you are a few days post-op.  With that said, I would check with your operating surgeon for his or her instructions first, since they are most familiar with your specific case.  Should you get the all clear to begin driving, I would recommend that you take it slow and be careful and remember that you cannot drive for 24 hours following anesthesia and you cannot drive if you have taken any narcotic (pain) medication.  I wish you the best of luck on your recovery.

Driving after a breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Driving after a Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for the question.

In general, I have my patients wait no less than 7 days before I allow them to drive. At that time they must be off narcotic pain medications as well as any other medications which may impair their driving. I recommend you follow up with your surgeon and follow his/her recommendations on this matter.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Driving after a Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for the question.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

How Long After my Augmentation Before I Can Drive a Car

Always best to run these types of questions by your plastic surgeon who knows your situation best and is ultimately responsible for your care. Having said that, most patients are able to resume driving within one week.  Of course, you will want to be off medication and be able to respond to an emergency.

Driving after breast augmentation

As long as you are not taking any pain medication you should be fine to drive. Take it slow and be careful. Check with your surgeon for his/her instructions first. Best of luck !

Driving after breast augmentation

Driving Following Breast Augmentation

Patients are eager to return to their normal routine as soon as possible following breast augmentation. The vast majority of patients are able to resume driving in 5 to 7 days following this procedure. At this time, the majority of patients are no longer taking narcotics for pain relief. When patients are still taking narcotics, resumption of driving should be delayed. It’s important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon because protocols vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Driving Following Breast Augmentation

A week

A week should give you enough time to recover enough before you start driving again. Just make sure you don't strain yourself when opening or closing the car door. 

A week

Driving post Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity such as driving 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Driving post Breast Augmentation

How long after an augmentation before I can drive a car?

Thank you for the question! Certainly, discuss this with your plastic surgeon, as answers will vary among surgeons. I typically say that whenever you are not taking narcotic pain medications and when you feel like you are strong enough to turn the steering wheel suddenly if needed, then you may resume driving. If you meet those requirements, take short trips around your block with somebody and see how you do. Best wishes!

Driving after breast augmenation

I tell my patients that they can start driving a car when they are off of all pain killers and they feel comfortable enough to turn and look behind themselves without any problems. Most patients can do that in 5-7 days after surgery. Be careful not to try and drive too early and wind up in an accident because you can't move and turn like you need to and definitely, do not drive while taking pain medication.

Driving after breast augmenation

Driving and Breast Augmentation

I generally let my Breast Augmentation patients drive within four days if they are off narcotics which is common after a quick recovery stretching regimen. Every surgeon is different and he may ask you to wait longer.

Richard Linderman, MD

Driving and Breast Augmentation

Richard Linderman, MD