Is Tummy Tuck procedure painful and will the scars fade away with time?

How long do I have to stay away from exercise after a tummy tuck procedure.

Tummy tuck

A tummy tuck will definitely cause some post-op discomfort.  I do not let patients start light aerobics for at least 3-4 weeks after surgery.  Incisions can take a year to fade and sometimes longer.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on researching tummy tuck procedures.  Tummy tucks that involve tightening or repair of the abdominal muscles do result in moderate pain for the first 3-5 days after surgery.  This does vary widely based on patient and should not preclude you from surgery as the pain is limited.  Tummy tuck incisions do tend to fade with time, as with most scars, with remodeling and improvement occurring over a year or more timeframe.  Hope this helps.

A tummy tuck and pain and healing

I think almost all patients will agree that a tummy tuck is quite painful at first. A lot of this subsides by the first week. It is good to have some help for the first few days, including for moral support. You will always have scars, but they are often much more acceptable than you might think. They tend to get less obvious over time, and this can take even years in some patients

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Permanent tummy tuck scars

Thank you very much for your question. Patients can expect moderate pain and discomfort following an abdominoplasty, especially during the first two to three days post-op. However, your operating surgeon will prescribe the needed pain medications for a relatively comfortable recovery. I suggest having a friend or loved one assist around the house with chores and basic tasks during this time. Additionally, a tummy tuck will result in permanent scars that run from hip to hip, just above your pubic area. While the scars will fade somewhat over time, they do remain visible, however these are normally easily concealed under clothing and swim wear. I would recommend that you schedule a consultation appointment with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon, who can further explain the tummy tuck procedure and recovery process. At this time, he/she can determine if an abdominoplasty is the right technique for your individual needs.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions.

I understand your concerns, the Tummy Tuck, like any other surgical procedure maycause some pain that is controlled by pain medication, nothing to be alarmed.
Incision that is carried out is done in the bikini line, making it aesthetically appropriate and that can be hidden with underwear.

Hope hear from you soon, best wishes!!

Ramon Morales, MD

TT pain and scars

The most painful part of a tummy tuck is the muscle repair.  For that reason I use a pain pump that drips numbing medicine (local anesthetic) along the muscle repair for 3 days after the surgery.  The scars will be pink or purple to start and will fade to slightly lighter than the surrounding skin with time.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

#Tummytuck #plasticsurgery #abdominoplasty

Hello ademile, thank you for your excellent question! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. Each surgical procedure has it's own set of post operative instructions. Your surgeon's preference and your health history play a role in what goes into your post operative instructions.  Final results can take up to 12 months for all the swelling to subside. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain with a Tummy Tuck procedure

Tummy Tucks or abdominoplasty procedures will cause moderate pain, of course "moderate pain" is subjective and I understand this varies from patient to patient. From what our patients have told us, on the average, they take narcotic pain medications for about 2-3 days and eventually move on to over-the-counter pain medications after. With regards to scarring, everyone has a different genetic predisposition for scarring, but in general, scars tend to fade over time. 

We recommend patients to stay away from exercise/working out for about 3 weeks. We do encourage them to walk around the same day of surgery. - J. Vicente Poblete, MD, Cleveland, Ohio

Pain is temporary, scars are forever

Tummy tucks are very rewarding procedures, often with dramatic results.  But, it does make a scar.  20% of people will make a bad scar based on genetics.  If you are willing to take that chance, it might be a good operation for you.  It starts with a consult.  See a surgeon in your area boarded by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (that is not the same thing as the board of cosmetic surgery). The pain is temporary and is usually only bad for the first few days.  Most are taking ibuprofen only by 3-4 days after surgery.  I restrict exercise of all kinds (except walking) for 2 weeks.  People who do intense exercise might be out for 6 weeks.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck can be uncomfortable for the first week, but this is controlled with oral pain medication. The level of discomfort depends on what is done during the procedure. Some women need liposuction, and most women need muscle tightening which adds to the recovery. Regarding the scar, it should be placed low enough so that you could wear a bikini or low cut underwear, and no one would see the scar. How much it's going to fade is somewhat dependent on your skin type. Some people make thin faded scars, while others tend to make a darker scar. Good luck!