3 months post-op uneven breasts (Photo)

Hi had an op 3 months ago and healed without a problem. However, I have been worrying about the asymmetry in my breasts. My right one sits higher than my left breast and my left nipple is positioned slightly more to the left. The shape of my left breast is also different to my right. I noticed immediately after the bandages came off that my left breast look a little square but my right a little more rounded. My implants are also anatomic low profile 275cc. Do I need a revision? Thanks.

Anatomic Implant Breast Asymmetry

Thank you for your question and photos.  Some degree of breast asymmetry is a very normal finding preoperatively and found in a very high percentage of patients.  When assessing your outcome, it is important to review your preoperative photos and exam to see if your postop asymmetry is consistent with what was present preop.   If it is then, a revision would not be helpful.  If your asymmetry is different than your preop photos, then it may be implant related.  One of the disadvantages of anatomic implants is that they can rotate in the pocket causing asymmetry.  Based on recent ultrasound studies, this probably happens much more often than the companies and anatomic implant proponents want to discuss.  You obviously have a very nice result. After determining the most likely cause of your asymmetry (i.e natural asymmetry versus implant malposition), you have to ask yourself whether trying to fix the degree of asymmetry that you have is worth it financially.  If you and your surgeon decide that it is implant related and you proceed with revision, you may want to consider round implants to avoid this problem altogether.  Hope this helps.  All the best.

you do have some differences in your breasts. I am curious what you looked like preop., the reason to have a revision is if the differences are noticeable in your clothes or bathing suit. then it is necessary.  otherwise it is your choice.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

3 Months Post OP Uneven Breasts

A before picture would help to assess what shape and look your breast had pre augmentation. The result you have now looks nice and you certainly do not need any type of revision at this point. No two breast will ever match 100%. They are sisters, not twins. Enjoy them. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

No two breasts are exactly the same. Yours look very nice, and I do not think that they need  a revision based upon the photo.

3 months post-op uneven breasts

Thank you for your question and photograph and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated. It is difficult to offer definite recommendations without a before picture of surgery but I do agree that you have some subtle asymmetries to your breast appearance.  Though you should allow your results another three months to reach their long term result I would go ahead and voice your concerns to your surgeon as they are in the best position to provide reassurance and/or review your surgical plan from your consultation.  Hope this helps.

Do I need a revision

From your photograph, I do see that there is a small degree of asymmetry. Without a preoperative photograph to compare to, it's hard to discern whether this asymmetry has been magnified by the placement of implants. At three months, there's still time for some softening of the breast which may make its position slightly different than what it is now. I've had good success in my practice in trying to create symmetry after breast augmentation, by placing fat grafts very precisely where the asymmetry exists. I would recommend you follow-up with your chosen plastic surgeon. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS