Wide nose, especially tip. Is tip surgery enough? (Photo)

I am seriously considering getting a nose job to make my nose thinner. I do not want to change my face too much. I am thinking of only making the tip a bit smaller, but I keep reading that that way the bridge will just stand out more. Would a tip surgery make a difference in my case? My nose bothers me from the front and from some side angles. My profile view is ok.

Tip rhinoplasty

You are good candidate for tip rhinoplasty as sole procedure, no obligation to do your bridge. Your bridge is not prominent but broad, so if you wanted to do the bones you should find a surgeon who knows how to narrow a bridge without shaving it down (to avoid a sunken nose).

Your tip is broad, large, over projected, and need reduction of lower lateral cruras, plasties at the domes (Ortiz Monasterio's technique of alternate incomplete transections of the domes), medial plications and shortening of medial cruras.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  From your pictures it is difficult to determine if tipoplasty surgery alone would help you to achieve your overall desired look.  In order to determine the best surgical plan for you, it is important to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that performs numerous Rhinoplasty procedures.

Best regards,

Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD

Plastic Surgeon

Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Wide nose, especially tip. Is tip surgery enough?

There are times when a tipplasty alone is sufficient, but I believe in your case you would benefit from a full rhinoplasty.   You can certainly discuss this with a very experienced facial plastic or plastic surgeon who performs a lot of rhinoplasty.  The goal of a rhinoplasty is for a very natural look.

Wide tip

smartphones do not accurately show the nose, it tends to make it wider than it really is. The picture you submitted seem to show a bulbous tip and thick skin. Hard to comment if only tip-oplasty would be enough without full view of your bridge.
Look for a rhinoplasty specialist and ensure that you have before and afters to visualize your outcome.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

The rhinoplasty procedure can narrow the wide nose, including the bulbous tip. This could be performed with closed rhinoplasty techniques as an outpatient surgical procedure. To narrow a bulbous tip, suture techniques are applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the tip. The bridge line can be narrowed with osteotomies. For many examples and more information, please see the link below

Not just tip surgery

Most rhinoplasty surgeons will tell you that only operating on one facet of the nose usually causes it to look unnatural.  Therefore, I suggest you seek out a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon who will thoroughly evaluate your nose, create a "simulation" so that you can visualize what your nose could look like after surgery, and together tailor a plan that specifically suits your wishes.  Best of luck!

Wide nose rhinoplasty

Primary rhinoplasty is usually a multifaceted procedure. One can not just do a tip or dorsum on its own and therefore all parts of nose needs to be addressed.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO

Improving the nostril width and refining a flaring bulbous tip are frequent requests of patients wanting nasal refinement. It is possible to improve the cosmetic appearance of the tip alone without altering the rest of the nose in some patients. Whether the optimal option in your particular situation would be a tip rhinoplasty alone or a full rhinoplasty would best be determined at a consultation. Either procedure can be performed with a closed or open approach.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Yes you can definitely narrow the tip and it would give you more balanced look. I would also consider narrowing the nasal bones too depending on how narrow you want the tip / the look you prefer. This is a subtle thing tho that is difficult to say with just photos and not seeing you in person. Hope this helps!

Can I have just a tip rhinoplasty? Yes you can.

Hello obscene_nature,
Thanks for your question.
You do have a mismatch between your tip and your dorsum.  A precisely performed tip rhinoplasty can reduce this mismatch.  You do have to be open to the possibility that an overtly aggressive tip reduction could overtly correct this mismatch now creating problems with your dorsum fitting in aesthetically.  Your dorsum is fairly narrow with wider nasal bones in the background, so this (in my opinion) is a relative good situation for tip rhinoplasty.  Aesthetically you want the dorsal nasal lines to blend into a narrower tip without necessarily narrowing the dorsum any further.  It will make your transition much more natural and look less "done".
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon