Almost 8 weeks post labiaplasty, wound separation? (Photo)

I had wedge method labiaplasty 8 weeks ago. It was healing well and happy with results. At 6 weeks I noticed part of the stitching line had a small gap. There's no blood, infection or pain just looks as though it's healed like this. My surgeon is hard to get hold of but I'm really worried it won't heal at this stage or worse still it might get bigger. I'm petrified of having surgery again, will I have to have a revision or is there any other options

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you require a secondary procedure in the future, I would recommend an experienced genital surgeon even if that requires traveling.   

Best of luck.      

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

8 weeks post labiaplasty

incisions don't just open up and separate.  You have a concavity from healing and the suturing done and is not uncommon with wedges.  If it really bothers you, talk to your surgeon about revising so that the outside labia is smoother.

Curtis Wong, MD

Separation Along Incision After Wedge Labiaplasty

Hi... Don't worry... after 8 weeks, the incision will not open or get infected.  However, it does appear that your incision healed while not fully lined up.  This can create the "gap" that you're seeing.  This is unlikely to resolve on its own.  If this bothers you, you will likely need a small procedure to correct this.  This can be done with just numbing medicine and should heal quickly.  Be patient and allow this to heal for about 6 months before doing anything.  Good luck.
Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Almost 8 weeks post labiaplasty, wound separation?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  At eight weeks this area is unlikely to fill in as it appears that your incision line separated and your skin has healed along this small separation.  Though this should not get worse over time you can have a very small revision to reapproximate the skin edges at 3-6 months from your original procedure.  This is when your tissues should have had all their swelling resolve and the tissues return to a normal feel.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty reconstruction

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. The hole is unlikely to heal on its own. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in wedge labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about four years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Wedge Labiaplasty

The wedge procedure works well, as do many other techniques for labial reduction. What you're demonstrating is possible with the wedge resection, and is typically found at the bottom of the closure, as you demonstrate. Possibly a connection between the inner and outer aspects of the labial closure. I can't tell fully from your photo. Not a big problem. Give it time. Ask your surgeon to walk you through the process. Best of luck.

Brian M. Derby, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

When to do a revision? Who should do it?

This can be modified. Wait until ~ 3 months post-op, and rerun to see your original surgeon (less expensive option) or another well-experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon who is skilled in V-wedge options and book for a "revision." Revision surgery intimately involving the previous incision line should not be performed until ~ 6 months post-original surgery.

Michaek P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Small separation

This usually can be repaired easily.  Please attempt to keep your hands off of it and do not pull on this area. Give it chance to heal and go back to your treating surgeon.

john R Mikos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

John R. Miklos, MD, FPMRS, FACS
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty wound separation

Thank you for your question. Usually wounds like this heal by themselves. I recommend to limit your activity and follow instructions from your surgeon.

Ven Erella, MD

Wound separation following wedge method labiaplasty

There is a wound separation that won't heal on its own, but may get worse. I would limit your activities for the next 4 weeks so as to allow for complete healing. As long as it doesn't get worse or cause you difficulties with sex I'd leave it alone. If you choose to repair it - it can be done as an office procedure with nice results. 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist