Wedge or trim? (Photos)

Which would suit my anatomy best- wedge or trim labiaplasty?

Wedge or trim?

It is the surgeon that is more important than the technique. The most critical decision to be made in achieving the best plastic surgical result is picking the most experienced with labiaplasty and most talented, that is the best, plastic or gynecologic surgeon possible. Too often, patients choose a physician based on a catchy ad, the brand name of a technique, the basis of one or two before and after photos, or their web site’s search engine ranking. These criteria will not find the most experienced and talented plastic surgeon. See the below link on suggestions on finding the most experienced plastic surgeon or gynecologist for your labiaplasty.

Wedge or Trim Procedure

#Labialplasty is probably the most common of the Vaginal Enhancement procedures. A candidate for a Labiaplasty procedure is concerned about the appearance of her labia or she may experience pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora.  This may result in chronic rubbing, which leads to difficulty in wearing tight clothing, such as leggings; tight shorts and bathing suits can reveal a “Camel Toe” which can be corrected with treatment. Enlarged or uneven labia may have a significant psychological impact and severely affect normal sexual relations. Many women live with this problem unaware that there are treatments available to help them. Surgery is the most common treatment and this problem can usually be corrected in under one hour with a local anesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. Some procedures may include treatment of the clitoris or clitoral hood to further enhance this region.  The “trim procedure” is a straight incision along the edge of the labia to reduce excess tissue.  A “wedge” is the removal of a triangular shaped part of the labia with the remaining parts placed together to look completely normal. There are “modified wedges” and Barbie Doll procedures as well as other varieties of treatment. The Barbie Doll reduces much of the Labia Minora so that it is not visible beyond the Labia Majora. There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.

Without determining specifically from your photo, any of these three procedures may be an option to help with your labia. It would be good to seek out a local board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to discuss the details of your desired final results. Good luck!

I perform both techniques and it is important to sit down with your surgeon and let them know the look you are trying to achieve. We would review the pros and cons of each technique. Best wishes!

Wedge or trim

What are your aesthetic goals? If you want a "petite" trimmed look that the trim method can achieve that. The wedge method will keep the darker natural border of the edges. Sit down and talk about what you would like to achieve with an experienced cosmetic gynecologist or plastic surgeon. Be comfortable with asking questions, and seeing what can help you achieve the look you desire. Also a  discussion about  clitoral hood reduction would be helpful with your anatomy. 

Cheri Ong, MD, FACS

What type of labiaplasty is best?

Thank you for your question.  There are many types of labiaplasty surgeries that have been published in our medical journals.  Of the published types, I perform four methods and not one of them is better than the other, but they all have there pros and cons. The choice is made after consulting with you and listentng to what you want, only then can I tell you what procedure would be best for you.  If you want pink edges that are equal to or below the level of the labia majora then I would recommend a linear labia minora reduction and a clitoral hood reduction. If you want to maintain the natural edge then you should consider the labial wedge resection or the labial fenestration method. You have several factors that could be addressed and I would strongly advise that you consult with an experienced cosmetic-plastic gynecologist. Ask to see before and after photos of their work and be comfortable with your decision.  All of the best and take care.

Dr. John Serrao
Cosmetic-Plastic Gynecologist

In my opinion, the trim method would be best for you.  With this method we can achieve minimal scarring and still take away any discoloration throughout the edge of  the Labia minora. Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in Labiaplasty.

John G. Hunter, MD

Which Labiaplasty Would Be Best: Wedge or Trim?

More important than choosing the type of labiaplasty is choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist with experience in both procedures, if you want the choice, and who can show you good before and after photos. Each procedure has its plusses, and your surgeon can discuss the options with you. The wedge retains the natural edge, which may or may not be something you desire. 

Once you've chosen a surgeon you trust, then you can make your decision on the surgical approach after a discussion with the surgeon.

For more information, click on the link below.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Wedge or trim?

Thank you for your question and picture.  The most important thing is to find a qualified surgeon that has a lot of experience doing labiaplasties.  I personally would perform a wedge resection but that is somehing that you would need to discuss with your surgeon.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Best procedures for labiaplasty

are determined by what you wish to have as your results.  Each method has its pros and cons.  Your anatomy suggests you already had a trim procedure done due to the scalloped edges you have.  Regardless, your surgeon should be able to discuss both methods with you and what each would produce.  Its very likely if you wish to have the 'cleanest' result, a hood reduction would also be discussed.  Choose your surgeon wisely as experience and judgment are paramount in achieving a happy endings.  Not all surgeons have good judgment.

Curtis Wong, MD

More important question: Who do you choose to perform your labiaplasty

Hello Misty, 

Thank you for your question and photos. My surgical recommendation for you would depend on what actually bothers you. You should be more concerned about finding a surgeon with experience, expertise, reputation, and proven results whom you feel comfortable with and confident that he/she would perform your procedure effortlessly and beautifully. You shouldn't worry about the technique.  Below is a link to more information in finding the best surgeon for you. Be sure to look at the photo gallery. You should be prepared to travel to find the best reconstructive and cosmetic vaginal surgeon for your procedure.

I see labial edges that are dark, irregular and bumpy. I also see slight redundant lateral prepuce on both sides as well as an anal skin tag. All this could be addressed as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia with minimal postoperative discomfort.  

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist